Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got an MM1!

It's great. Thanks to Nick (Jacksonite) for the great deal on it

Sounds and plays great, and the ebony board is super-black!

And those inlays are drool-worthy!

Some people said before the neck was kinda fat, but I'm finding it to be close to a DK2M neck - must be the finish on the neck that makes it seem thicker.

Anyhoo, no major mods planned for it, but I may put a hotter pickup in the bridge - I like the 59 in the neck but in the bridge it seems a bit weaker and it's as high as it'll go.
    As well the pots seem to cut off too early when you roll them back, so I'm thinking they're Audio Tapers.

Maybe a TP-6 tailpiece as well

Needs a Floyd
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Sweet! Love the finish Newc!

Comment

oh man, that's gonna be awesome once the studs & blood splatter are done.

how's it compare to your old Swee-tone, Newc?
      Hail yesterday

Comment

The Jazz'R had better acoustics, and an oiled neck (plus the hard V profile), as well as bigger frets.

The MM1 has tall/skinny frets, the acoustic tone is similar to a Dinky, and the neck profile is more rounded.

The MM1 also has splitters for the pickups, which would have been nice on the Jazz'R just to make blending tones easier.

Playability is of course excellent - easily on par with the Jazz'R.
        Haven't found any "iffy" spots on the neck or other such issues.

I can't say that I wouldn't play this one if I still had the Jazz'R.

The only thing I'd change today are the volume pots as mentioned earlier - the other stuff would just be nitpicky personal preference things, but I'm warming up to the 59 in the bridge. Sounds great through both my MP-1 and the Line6 AM-4 pedal.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Sweet! Congrats!! So you've got the Bourbon Burst, I've got Old School Burst, TreeFitty's got Wine Drunk. Now we just need two more people to buy the River Bed and Primer to have a full collection on the JCF.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Since this is the only guitar I have besides my LP that doesn't have a trem, I wouldn't mind having another for open tuning (ZZTop)

EDIT:

I've just done a back-to-back-to-back comparison between the MM1, a DK2M neck, and my Cherry Sunburst NASL-160.

The MM1 neck profile is definitely thicker than the DK2M (actually made the DK2M feel thin ), but the NASL-160 is thinner than that.

So yes the neck is kinda meaty.
            Still not uncomfy to play though.
            Last edited by Newc; 03-26-2007, 08:51 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't mind another either, but, at the moment, my bank account tells me otherwise. ... Unless I don't pay my mortgage this month.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                So yes the neck is kinda meaty.
                Still not uncomfy to play though.
                No, not uncomfy at all. It's meaty, seems a little wide, like a big D shape.

Comment

Yeah, that's it. I need to round up various Fender necks with all the different profiles so I can compare them directly - I didn't know what a "hard V" profile was till I got the Jazz'R, though I'd always heard/read the term.

And while I'm rambling, how about these mods:

TP-6 fine-tuning tailpiece
                  Q-parts knobs with MOP or Abalone tops (or MOP Tones and Abalone Volumes, or mixed)
                  Linear taper Volume pots
                  Duncan Holdsworth in the bridge
                  Chrome pickup rings
                  Rewire the knobs to be like a Les Paul (bridge on bottom)

These came with 9s, right? Anyone using 10s? I think the Jazz'R had 10s, not sure, but it definitely had more oomph in the treble strings (almost too much for the Jazz in the neck).
                  How about a Light bottom/heavy top set? 10s on the trebles and 9s for the basses?

Comment

I've been thinking of getting Q-Parts knobs with red abalone tops for mine. I already have a TP-6 on my Les Paul, so I could always swap it and see if I like it.
                    And they do come with 10-gauge GHS Boomers, just like Mark uses. That's what I use anyway. Did you have yours set up with 9s?

Comment

No, no special setup requested. Maybe it's the thicker profile making the strings seem thin since I'm used to thinner neck with 9s (which feel big due to the thin profile).

Comment

Hmm, that's possible.

I also thought the knob setup was weird, I keep going for the lower one like it's my Les Paul, but I'm starting to get used to it and actually like the bridge volume closer to the bridge now.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed is the nut slots seem to be closer together than what I recall form my last non-trem Jackson - like there's enough room on either side of the Es for a 12-string setup?

If they really are closer, this would make the string spacing smaller and give the illusion that the strings are a smaller size (much like the Fusion scale makes the neck seem thinner and the nut seem more narrow when it actually isn't).

Comment

I noticed that on mine as well, there's plenty of room so the strings aren't too close to the edge. It is a 1 11/16" nut, so the board doesn't feel any wider, but the back shape just seems a tad wider.

Comment

That's a real nice top on that guitar Matt! Congrats!!!!!
                              Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Working...
                              X