RR3 "Tone" Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RR3 "Tone" Recommendations?

This is not a "what pickup" type thread. I rebuilt my RR3 and have Dimarzio SDHB in the bridge and PAF in the neck position. I have this same set up on my JRR94.

My concern is about the tone of the guitar. It is is harsh in comparison to my JRR94. It does not have that fat warm sound...it is brash and "tinny". Don't get me wrong, there is plenty of gain so it is not a wiring issue. Since this is the first guitar I have ever had with a Floyd Rose type tremolo I am thinking this may be the difference. The JRR94 is a fixed bridge "string through" body like the RR5 or RR1. Both guitars are bolt ons.

Any theory's on the difference? Does it sound like my RR3 is "typical". I play both of these guitars back to back and the JRR94 sings with a nice fat tone yet it is still bright and the harmonics sing (like my Les Paul). It may just boil down to the fact that I have never had a floating trem on any guitar I have owned and that is the difference.

-B

a floating trem does make a difference...and in this case i think the trem may be the reason the RR3 sounds different (as well as body wood...what type of wood is the JRR94 made of?)
    My metal band Lucian Scott
    Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
    Available Now!
    New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Poplar

and I agree w/ soc
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thank you for the responses. I suppose I will keep tweaking the RR3. If anyone has any hot rodding tips let me know.

Comment

buy thicker strings, block the floyd, lower the pick ups, and raise the action. that will beef up the tone........
          "slappy, slappy" bill sings, happily, as he dick slaps random people on the streets of Cleveland.

Comment

Originally posted by kelly user View Post
            buy thicker strings, block the floyd, lower the pick ups, and raise the action. that will beef up the tone........

Very true, just changing my strings from 9's to 10's made a big difference in the sound I got.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

try what everyone has said first... if all fails, you could always install a pickup with more mids + bass

Comment

Because the tonality of the guitar is different than you others, you might want to find a pickup that matches better.

Comment

I am going to try 10's first. Of course there is still some tweaking to be done otherwise. Thanks for the responses.

Comment

If that doesn't help, try an 85 in the bridge...
                    Hear the universe scream
                    Bleeding from black holes
                    Whom horns careless
                    And whom God mourns

Comment

Ok...I installed 10's on the guitar and tweaked the neck and intonation. I am very happy now. The guitar has a different tone still but this week I have been listening to a lot of Randy Rhoads. His tone on DOAM is what this guitar sounds like.....brite and a little on the harsh side. I suppose, as a RR fan, that makes this guitar what I wanted....a tribute to the master.

Listen to SATO and that is the tone I get with this guitar. NICE.

Comment

Working...
                      X