• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which combo is better??

Which combo is better? And why??

EMG-81 (Front & Rear)

or

Seymour Duncan SH-1n (Front) /TB-5 (Rear)

I'm a fan of the EMG's... much more aggressive.
    "Better to Die Quickly Fighting on Your Feet
    Than to Live Forever Begging on You Knees."-LoG

R.I.P.
    Dimebag Darrell
    Chuck Schuldiner
    Cliff Burton

Comment

I like emgs too. But I'm saying about "combo" WHICH COMBO IS BETTER??? maybe emgs are better than duncuns but both 81 H-H may not be a good setup in a guitar but those duncuns are??? or... something else??!

Comment

It totally depends on the guitar and amp. Although some people will argue that the body wood doesn't mean much when using active pickups, it's still a factor in the overall tone. Your playing style/genre will matter too. I personally don't care for EMGs much, despite playing a style (death metal) which many people find them well suited for. It really depends on the guitar though, and the amp.
        sigpic

Comment

I'm not a fan of EMG tone at all... However if You're into the high gain stuff it may work for You, personally they sound too ceramic and glassy for me...
          - Andi Kravljaca -

Comment

more info needed. What tone are you looking for? What type of music are you playing? What Guitar? etc.

Comment

Suppose it's a KV.
              Music type - from rock to heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by necro View Post
                Music type - from rock to heavy.
                OK, that narrows it down
                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Neither is better. It's all about what works best for you. What type of guitar and amp will you be using? I assume you're playing some type of import Jackson since this is in the "Import Jackson" section.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Depends what you are playing. For 80s hair metal and hard rock, the Jb/TB-5 (I think the TB-5 is the Custom 5?) combo. It has a nice tone on an overdriven amp, while also having a good clean tone. The EMGs are better for thrash metal, heavy metal, etc. Not the best sounding clean pickups, but one of the best sounding pickups when using a lot of distortion. They also produce more bottom end than the Seymour Duncans. I have guitars with both setups (though I had the JB/Jazz setup) and each one has its uses. To sum things up while I would have several guitars with a combo of Seymour Duncan pickups with a JB at the bridge, one guitar with EMGs is quite enough.

Comment

I just replaced the Duncan Designed bridge pickup (based on the Distortion I believe) in my KVX10 with an EMG81. I play mostly hard rock (BLS), metal, thrash metal. I like it much better than the stock pickup for everything I play, but I rarely play clean. I did just get a Crate VFX5112 all tube combo which is said to have a great clean channel and the 81 sounds great through it, though I don't have a guitar with an SD in it to compare it to. But to my ears it sounds great through the clean channel. karl

Comment

Working...
                      X