Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installed a new pickup last night but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed a new pickup last night but...

Well.. I pulled out the Duncan Designed pickup in the DK2, and replaced it with a Duncan SH-13. The "duncan designed" pickup, had the red/white soldered together, with the black and bare going to ground and the green going to the 5 position switch.

The instructions for the SH-13 said that the black is the "hot" and the green should goto ground.

Should it go the way the instructions said or should it go the way the duncan designed pickup was wired? Just curious on this.

Thanks for the help.

It may have been reversed to match the single and be in phase. It will be black or green for hot. Try the green first and test the phase between the bridge/middle. If it sounds weird then try the black.
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Real SD's use the black wire as the hot and the green wire as the ground.
      Wire it the way the instructions say.
      -Rick

Comment

cool, when i move the switch from the bridge to the bridge/middle, it REALLY sounds "out of phase" perse.

I wired it with the black wire going to the 5 position switch, and it sounds pretty good.. a assload more crunch and harmonic capability than the duncan designed pickup.

Thanks guys

Comment

That's a nice PUP you put in!

Comment

It was wired backwards because of the single coils, it has nothing to do with being a usa made SD. like jcm800x said check the bridge middle. Most guitars with all usa SDs have a reverse wound middle pup DD are not, so unless you changed out the middle pup you will have a problem.
            Last edited by Rich#6; 03-02-2007, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
              It was wired backwards because of the single coils, it has nothing to do with being a usa made SD. like jcm800x said check the bridge middle. Most guitars with all usa SDs have a reverse wound middle pup DD are not, so unless you changed out the middle pup you will have a problem.
              So your saying rewire it to how it was originally with the green wire going to the 5 position switch and the black wire going to the back of the pot?

Im confused with the "internet slang"

Comment

So your saying rewire it to how it was originally with the green wire going to the 5 position switch and the black wire going to the back of the pot?

Im confused with the "internet slang"
                Yes if it sounds funny when you have the bridge and middle pickups on.
                SD-Seymour Duncan
                DD-Duncan Designed

Comment

Ill go switch the green and blacks and report back

Comment

Ok, I musta been really trashed last night, because i hooked it up like the DD pickup was hooked up. Green to the switch and black to the pot. I switched the two around, the strange sound is gone when i turn on the middle pickup..

Now it is hooked up as per the instructions from Seymour Duncan, and works fine.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X