DK2T questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2T questions

Hello all, i'm new to this forum and i'm looking for some info about the Dinky DK2T, since i cant find one to try where i live.

At the moment i own 2 Ibanez guitars with floyds, so i'd like to try something different. What can i expect from a fixed bridge with Strings-Through-Body? Is this bridge comfortable playing fast palm muted riffs? In your experience, is this guitar a good choice for technical death metal type of music or should i get a DK2M instead?

Thanks!

I recently purchased one, and I like the TOM bridge alot. Palm muting in fine, it is just a little different feel then floyds. This is my first non-floyd/kahler in years, and now it feels more natural then the recessed floyd to me.

Comment

AHHHHH ATTACK OF THE NEWBS only joking! the dk2t and the dk2m are great guitars for technical metal, i think it would be your preference on floyds as the differnce in tone wont be too big

also welcome!
      Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
      Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

Welcome to the board!

I use only string-thru guitars because the low profile trems feel strange for me.
        The main difference is that the strings are higher above the body on a string-thru bridge, and the neck is angled. I prefer this setup.

The DK2T and DK2M are quite similar in features except for the fretboard wood and bridge type, so you should decide based on what you prefer here.
        I guess the DK2M would be a safe thing for you because you are used to trem bridges.

And just to add: I play in a technical death metal band and use a DKMGT and a COW DK6 (both string-thru, but with an arched top) with great results. They are very comfortable for complex and fast picking.

Good luck for your purchase!
        http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I love my DK2T. It holds its tuning no matter what, and I cna go all the way to drop B with it and it still sound great! They play fast and look slick. The bridges are easy to adjust, and sound great palm muted. For technical metal I would get a DK2T.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys!

From what i read, string-thru guitars should have more sustain and a more "solid" tone than guitars with a floating bridge, that's why i'm interested in a DK2T (and this is also my official excuse to buy me a new guitar )

Reading that the strings are higher above the body on a string-thru bridge, now i'm a bit worried since i'm used to play on low profile floyds and i want the strings quite close to the body, else my palm muted will get sloppy... Is it possible to lower the height of the strings? Do you have problems when switching form one type of guitar to the other, or is it something you get used to?

I guess a DK2M would be a safer bet for me, but i find the DK2T so damn sexy!

Comment

It is very easy to lower the height. On the TOM bridge there are two slots on either side for a flat head screwdriver to adjust height. It wotn get Floyd low, but it will get damn close.

Comment

I played a DKMGT and am looking desperately for a Trans black DK2T. Another thing I would like to point out is that they are incredibly light! Even I used to play an Ibanez with a trem and the non-trem Jacksons are so light weighted and so comfortable to play.
                Sam

Comment

I have one non floyded guitar (KVX10 pre 2006) and I love it.
                  Palm muting is a bit different but I never noticed that the strings are higher
                  off the body. I feels slightly different but I quickly accomadated it and now it feels just as natural as my lowpro floyds for palm muting.

What no one has mentioned is that string bending is more accurate and stable as the bridge doesn't bend up to compensate for the bend like it does with a floyd. Also you can drop tune on a minutes notice. Nice. I really want one of those new RR24s but I wish they had a string thru option. Karl

Comment

See if you can find one of these:

http://www.jacksonguitar.org/gall/gall143.html

They are 3/2 better than the DK2T!!!

I tried a DK2T I liked it but I am going with floyds from now on. If I was going to have more than one guitar I would get one

Yes you can do muting fine, I would say better than a trem guitar, because the back part of the trem is not there to get in the way.

Comment

Strings thru do add more sustain for sure. I think you'll find your palm muting actually easier on the fixed bridge setup. Basically you can actually tell where the edge is much easier than on a floyd....plus you can actually rest your palm on the bridge without worrying about making the tuning flutter as sometimes happens when you rest your hand on a trem.
                      Transitioning from Retired Musician from cover bands to a Full time vocalist/frontman/guitarist in an original and covers band....it's been a while and this should get NASTY!

Check out the new band at - https://www.facebook.com/PerfectStormMetal/?fref=nf

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarfreak View Post
                        Thanks for the input guys!

From what i read, string-thru guitars should have more sustain and a more "solid" tone than guitars with a floating bridge, that's why i'm interested in a DK2T (and this is also my official excuse to buy me a new guitar )

Reading that the strings are higher above the body on a string-thru bridge, now i'm a bit worried since i'm used to play on low profile floyds and i want the strings quite close to the body, else my palm muted will get sloppy... Is it possible to lower the height of the strings? Do you have problems when switching form one type of guitar to the other, or is it something you get used to?

I guess a DK2M would be a safer bet for me, but i find the DK2T so damn sexy!
                        I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. The neck is angled back slightly more than floyded guitars and the TOM bridge sits higher because of that. You can still adjust the action low to the neck. It is similiar to a Les Paul setup, which I'm sure you are familiar with those, so try one out locally to get an idea of how comfortable the string-thru is to you.

Comment

Is $600 for a trans black DK2T too much to pay?
                          Sam

Comment

Check with the dealer sponsors, they can beat that.
                            |My CSG gallery|
                            (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post
                              I think you are misunderstanding what is being said. The neck is angled back slightly more than floyded guitars and the TOM bridge sits higher because of that. You can still adjust the action low to the neck. It is similiar to a Les Paul setup, which I'm sure you are familiar with those, so try one out locally to get an idea of how comfortable the string-thru is to you.
                              Correct. It's also similar to playing a guitar with a non-recessed Floyd... the neck angle is greater and it will keep the bridge a little higher above the body than a recessed Floyd or Fender type of bridge.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X