Never heard much about the SL3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noobster View Post
    I love my SL3 too... but after I hated it at first, almost sold it but decided to set it up once more and give it a last short as the guitar sounds good unplug. Now it is starting to be my most played axe.

Pros:
    It has a good strat like tone with higher mids, which I kind of appreciate.
    Versatile with H-S-S configuration.
    Seymour duncan humbucker.
    Great neck feel
    Great upper access that beats other famous guitar

Cons:
    Floyd is not original and may pose a problem for beginners
    Single coil pickups are real muddy (can be rectified by adjusting height and also amp settings)

I won't list the aesthetic cons as it won't affect the tone or feel of the guitar. Bottom line is that it can be a superb guitar if setup and maintained properly.
    The high mid tone is due mostly from a maple neck thru and alder body. I had an SL4 for a short stint, but hated it and sent it back. Jack.

Comment

I have one and I think its a great guitar. I've had mine for a couple of years and its probably my main player even though I have an SL2 as well.
      The bridge and pickups are really good quality and will be fine. I personally don't care much about binding. It looks ok but it's in no way a swaying factor for me.
      The problem with the high e fretting has been taken care as far as I know. Pick one up second hand for a good price and you'll be laughing. Maybe not worth the new asking price though.

Comment

I've bought one recently, '06 model in transparent red with the black hardware and OFR, but it's got this same problem with the top E string.

It doesn't look to be alignment as the strings seem pretty well centred on the neck but the top E seems to slip off the frets waaaay too easily. I've got a replacement on the way (other issues, it arrived damaged and looked like it was factory-damaged, not mangled by the courier) but I suspect it's going to be the same.

So... a couple of you have mentioned about a narrower nut fixing the issue - what should I be looking for that's gonna be a good fit? And assuming that the bridge is going to remain at the same spacing, will simply changing the nut make a big enough difference or is there a way of adjusting the bridge as well?

Comment

Working...
        X