Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG pickup height on my new SLSMG

Hello All

I got my new 06 SLSMG in red. Loving the guitar so far. However, I feel that the sustain on this guitar is no better than my Dean hartail select which is also mahogany body but with a maple archtop but no string thru or neck thru. Maybe I need new strings? but the strings look pretty good.

Anyway, I am playing through a 5150 and I thought that the bridge pickup is far away from the strings and maybe that's the reason for the less sustain. But to my dismay, I think I have reached the maximum height that the pickup can be raised. This is my first guitar with an active EMG. Is there a limit beyond which the pickup cannot be raised? In all my previous guitars, I can have the pickup as close to the strings as I want. But in this case, there is about 8 mm distance between the top of the EMG-81 and the bottom of the strings. And I cannot turn the screw anymore. but I can send the pickup further away if I want.

thanks for any help.

BTW, this is my purchase. (I guess since I am still a newbie, I am not allowed to post pictures or links. lol)

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/ksreera/album/576460762388722825/photo/294928804221190341/0

Sam

You may have reached coil bind in the spring under the pickup mounting ring. Putting a shorter spring or cutting the existing ones should help.
    You'd have to remove the pickup to do this, pretty simple with a string through though.
    My EMG's on my Soloist Archtop Pro are about 2mm from the strings.
    8mm is way too far from the strings on an EMG and it'll sound a lot better when you get it closer.
    Unfortunately the picture you have on Yahoo doesn't show your problem.
    Very nice guitar though!!

Comment

Here's your pic:

You have probably bottomed out the spring under the mounting plate. The spring goes around the screw that goes thru the mounting ring into the ears of the pickup.

If you slaken your strings and remove the 4 screws holding the pickup ring to the body, then look and see if the springs around the pickup screw are collapsed tight. If so, remove the springs and cut them in half with side-cutters and then reinstall. The shorter spring won't bottom as early and you should be able to get your pickup higher.

Comment

^ Thanks for posting the pic of my guitar. Ok, let me open it up and take a look.
        Sam

Comment

it's a concern that you should have to do this on a new EMG-equipped guitar!

How's the action? Can it be lowered to bring the strings closer to the pickups, or is it as low as you want to go now?
          Hail yesterday

Comment

You might wanna try the taller pickup rings!
            I love admins!

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              it's a concern that you should have to do this on a new EMG-equipped guitar!

How's the action? Can it be lowered to bring the strings closer to the pickups, or is it as low as you want to go now?
              I know! I expected a lot from a $1000+ guitar. I opened up the back place and expected to see awesome "professional" looking solders and wires, but was horrified. it looks like a wiring of a $99 squier. My Dean hardtail has much better "looking" electronics. Anyway, as long as it functions without a hitch is all I care. I guess.

The action is exactly where I want to be. its not really really close to the fretboard, but I dont like it too close either. So, I dont feel like messing with the action. But like I said, the pickup is far away from the strings in the closest position. Beyond that, the screw just doesnt turn. But I havent got a chance to open up the guitar yet. but will let you guys know. At the back, there is a nice little compartment for the battery alone. I like that.
              Sam

Comment

FYI about the soldering work and what not: Jackson does cut corners with cheaper pots, switches, and soldering jobs so they can spend more money on the important stuff. And I have Squier wire jobs: It cant be that bad. My DK2T had a pretty sturdy soldering job actually. Until I started screwing with it

Comment

As said above. It sounds like yo need to make thre springs shorter for the pups. It is a bit odd that youd have to do this with a new guitar but everybody has their own prefferance for pickup hight etc. The EMG springs are pretty long.

Comment

Guys, it worked like a charm. Thanks a lot! Cut off about 1/4 of the springs and now, I can get the bridge pup as close to the strings as I want. The neck pup though I left it as it is since even with the max out spring, it still sounds good.

thanks again!
                    Sam

Comment

mhm why did you assume that actives. give better sus. than passives? alot of other factors come into play.

but i see you were able to raise the pups. so if your satisfied, congrats.

Comment

I was referring to the sustain that is supposed to come out of a neck-thru, string thru guitar i.e the slsmg. But then, since the pickup was far off, I guess it did not have that "good" a sustain. Now, it seems to be allrite.
                        Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X