Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying myself a Kelly.

A Jackson KE3 Kelly to be exact

With my new Powermetal band "City of Angels" picking up steam it was time for something that looked "Metal"
    The one I'm gonna get differs from the one pictured by being trans blue with a striped maple top.

So do you guys have any advice for me to look for or warnings about hardware issues, shoot them over please.

If you are buying used, look out for worn trems. The Pro-series models prior to the upgraded 2006 models had bridges made from softer metal, and they can go bad with a lot of use. Make sure that you USE the whammy bar to find this out prior to purchase. That's pretty much the only critical issue I can think of.

On the other hand, if you do find a KE-3 with a trem that is shot, haggle the price down and replace the bridge with an Original Floyd Rose. That would give you a killer guitar for sure!

What's more...oh yes;

All Jackson imports come with crappy switches and pots, but those are relatively easy to replace/upgrade.

The Kellies are notorious for being neck-heavy. People here on the forum often relocate the strap buttons to counter that. Just try a search for "Kelly strap button", and you should find some good info.

Comment

Thanks, I was going to put EMG pickups in it, 81's in both positions. The trem looks and feels fine, no issues yet. as for strap button placement, I guess I'll go "Bootsy" and put one at the backside of the lower bout.

Comment

Do check on the frets as well, cos some may not be planted nicely and may have some sharp edges. Keep in mind that the rosewood fretboard needs to be maintained and oiled regularly.

The KE3 is definitely a nice looking axe... enjoy it...

Cheers,
        Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Noobster View Post
          Do check on the frets as well, cos some may not be planted nicely and may have some sharp edges. Keep in mind that the rosewood fretboard needs to be maintained and oiled regularly.

The KE3 is definitely a nice looking axe... enjoy it...

Cheers,
          Matt
          What the best stuff to use to oil the fretboard?
          Last edited by the_wall; 02-09-2007, 10:23 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Originally posted by the_wall View Post
            What the best stuff to use to oil the fretboard?
            Linseed oil

Comment

i would have thought lemon oil
              Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
              Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I have been using Fret Doctor to oil my fretboard with great results

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Comment

I've heard good things about bore oil too, never used it or heard it mentioned here though.
                  EDIT: Nevermind, that's the link Leo posted............
                  EAOS: 28JUN09

Comment

Working...
                  X