Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This buzz?ring I don't get it.

Let me tell you about it..

I own a 2005 Jackson SL3. It came with the jackson trem on it. Shame as if I waited I would have got an orignal Floyd Rose as they now come on the 2006 model. I'm going to guess it's the cause of all my problems. I assume Jackson thought it wasn't as good as the Orignal and the guitar at it's price point needed the orignal Floyd.

My guitar makes a freaky overtone buzz harmonic type sound when I play open chords using the E B G strings. I think it's the B string making all the noise. You really don't notice it as much when plaing Bar chords. I have a service contract with Sam Ash music in Phila Pa and I took it in for service. They setup the entire guitar and adjusted the neck. New strings went on(fender super 250's 9-42 )which are the ones I like the best, and I get it home tonight and the sound is still there.

I think my guitar has done this the entire time I owned it. It seems to have got worse. I'm considering upgrading the Jackson trem for a Orignal Trem. I also considering calling Jackson and talking to them about it. I love this guitar I love the way it plays. It feels right when I play it but when I play open chords, I get mad at it as it takes away from the beauty of it's tone.

Has anyone experienced this?? I have tried the foam under the springs which some say is common but it made no difference. I have blocked the trem with a Trem stopper from Floyd Rose and that didn't help( I figured if I stopped it from floating something would happen). I have no idea whats causeing it but I think it's the bridge.

Someone please help me

I would zero in on the nut.you may need to shim the treble side of the nut.Sounds like the strings are ringing on the frets.Fret a barr at the 3rd fret and look at the first fret.How close are the strings to the first fret? If they are lying on the first fret shim the nut.You may just have a loose nut pull the locking pads off and check to see if the screws are tight.
    These type of problems are hard to find sometimes.It could be in the trem,loose sustain block, loose string saddles etc you will just have to do a trial and error search.It could be the strings also.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-11-2006, 11:32 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      I would zero in on the nut.

+1

Also check if the strings in question are fretted at the very edge of the nut. If the V-shaped cuts in the nut are poorly done, or the nut is not mounted with the correct angle, the strings will not fret at the exact edge of the nut - especially the thinner strings, like the g, b and e. It gave me ringing noises on one of my guitars, plus a slightly bad intonation.
      Last edited by jackson1; 11-12-2006, 05:20 AM.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Awesome guys
        I will check the nut. Hell I can replace it if it wasn't made correctly. That would be alot cheaper then buying a entire new trem system.

Thanks I'll report back with what I find.

Dan

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the trem so keep it.Nuts are very easily replaced.
          If the nut is not down all the way or loose or the "v" notch is off a little you may have the problem you describe.Look and see if the nut is flush against the fret board. If you see space on the treble side and none on the bass side the nut is crooked.When shimming a nut go the full width of the nut.Some people will shim the front or back this will change the angle at the strings take off point.
          Also check to see if the shelf that it rests on is level.
          Last edited by straycat; 11-12-2006, 01:32 PM.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with the trem so keep it.Nuts are very easily replaced.
            If the nut is not down all the way or loose or the "v" notch is off a little you may have the problem you describe.Look and see if the nut is flush against the fret board. If you see space on the treble side and none on the bass side the nut is crooked.When shimming a nut go the full width of the nut.Some people will shim the front or back this will change the angle at the strings take off point.
            Also check to see if the shelf that it rests on is level.
            So you don't think it's a good idea to upgrade the Trem to a Floyd Rose Orignal?
            Anyway I had the guitar looked at by a tech in Morrisville today who has been repairing guitars for over 20 years. He looked at it and found a few things wrong. The action was to high, the bridge pickup was to high and the intonation was off. Then he asked about the volume knob which Sam Ash also replaced and he said they did a bad job and used a low quality part. He replaced it with a Fender 500K pod I forget the brand name but it's what Fender and Gibson use in there high end guitars. It's smooth like when I first got it. It's very nice.

Well the problem is still there and he thinks something is wrong with the bridge. Something bent or not machined correctly. He also thought it was a pickup but all 3 pass the ringing noise. He also suggested a Orignal Floyd Rose system which comes with a new nut, springs, everything. He said he would setup the guitar right.

So now I'm at a cross roads with it. I'm also considering trading it in and getting something else. I'm alittle down about it. I love the guitar it feels very good but man this ring doesn't make me want to play it. I'm considering a Sl2 in snow white. It's an upgrade and I have played them many times. I'm also considering the SL1 but I really don't use the middle pickup. I don't see no need in how I play.

O the nut, he checked the nut and he said it was right on. It was correct and he tested it with the 3rd frett thing.

Comment

OK.An OFR would be an upgrade for sure no argument there.After a proper set up and you still have the problem it could be the trem.The vol pot thing I wont go into here but if you like the guitar put an OFR in see if that cures your problem.You could take the old trem apart and clean it and degunk it and replace any worn out parts it may be fine after a good cleaning.

Comment

OK.An OFR would be an upgrade for sure no argument there.After a proper set up and you still have the problem it could be the trem.The vol pot thing I wont go into here but if you like the guitar put an OFR in see if that cures your problem.You could take the old trem apart and clean it and degunk it and replace any worn out parts it may be fine after a good cleaning.
                Dude Sam Ash is the best man. I called them and told them about the repair guy and everything and they swapped out my 2005 Sl3 and gave me a Brand new out of the box 2006 with an Orignal Flyd Rose system on it. I couldn't be happier with them and my new guitar. The top on this guitar is alittle darker red and has more of a sun burst kinda look to it, it also has black hardware instead of chrome. But I'm completely with the exchange.

I wanna take a moment and thank everyone for the help.

Rock on people.......

Comment

Working...
                X