Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guitar arrived, DK2 - some questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guitar arrived, DK2 - some questions...

Hi everyone -
    So i just picked up my first Jackson DK2 off of ubid (for $189 ).

Anyways, gonna need new pickups. I was thinking of the distortion or full shred for the bridge --> need something to handle high gain rhythm playing. I have the distortion in the ibanez and it sounds great there; just don't know how it will sound in the jackson.
    As for the neck, need something for clean strumming but still be able to keep up with the bridge. Thinking maybe cool rails, JBjr, or lil demon.
    Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    See below for some pics....

Also, i've included a closeup of the trem on the jackson. I'm not familar with them (only the ibanez trems) but are the sadlles supposed to be up like that?
    Also (sorry for all the questions, what year was this made, 9847028)?

Thanks
    Jeff
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Kiesel Aries
    Charvel USA Wild Card #3
    EVH 5150 iii 50W, 1x12" EVH w/ Celestion Lynchback, Boss RV-3

Thats normal.That guitar needs a set up
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
      Also (sorry for all the questions, what year was this made, 9847028)?

Thanks
      Jeff
      Are you SURE that is the number? I wasn't aware they had gone past 980xxxx.

If so, I believe it is very recent, 2005 or 2006.
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
        Are you SURE that is the number? I wasn't aware they had gone past 980xxxx.

If so, I believe it is very recent, 2005 or 2006.
        Yep, that's was printed on the neck plate.....
        Would it be a 2006 then?

Jeff
        Kiesel Aries
        Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

i dont think so the 2006 dk2s have black hardware and duncans
          Say, I smell bacon.Does anyone else smell bacon?
          Yeah, I definitely smell a pork product of some type.

Comment

I think the switchover to black hardware and Duncans happened sometime in spring, so I assume there are a few 2006 guitars out with the old specs.

JCLogston: What bodywood do you have in the Ibby? If it's mahogany or basswood, then the DK2 would probably sound brighter with the same pickups, since it has an alder body. On the other hand, it also has a rosewood fretboard which would probably even out the difference a little.

I've only used my Distortion in a mahogany body guitar so far, and that tone is to die for. =)

Comment

Hi Sunbane -

The ibanez has a basswood body. The distortion sounds great in that guitar and i wouldn't mind having that same sound in the dk2.
              What would you suggest for the neck?

thanks

jeff
              Kiesel Aries
              Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Another question -

Do you agree that the guitar needs a setup?

jeff
                Kiesel Aries
                Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

What about the lil 59? I myself am switching to a hot rails but I don't know if that is too hot for you.

Comment

I personally prefer hot neck pickups with a bit of bite. I currently have a Full Shred Neck (full size 'bucker) in my 750XL, and it's just too sterile and low output. I'm going for a Distortion there as well. So for that reason, I would try to find the hottest singlecoil size pickup I could find. I almost never play clean parts, btw. If you use your neck pickup for cleans, then I figure something like a semi-bright singlecoil would sound nice there.

As for setup...if the guitar works fine and you like how it plays, then it does NOT need a setup. However, I'm not anal about having my trem perfectly aligned with the body like most people here are. In fact, I like to set them up with a little bit of forward tilt. My guitars have top-mounted trems, and I want the trem to be parallell to the strings rather than the guitar body. Plus, it lets me pull up more.

I'm however NOT a fan of the JT580LP trem. Those angled saddles make it a pain in the butt to apply subtle palm muting to lead runs.
                    Last edited by Sunbane; 11-12-2006, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      I personally prefer hot neck pickups with a bit of bite. I currently have a Full Shred Neck (full size 'bucker) in my 750XL, and it's just too sterile and low output. I'm going for a Distortion there as well. So for that reason, I would try to find the hottest singlecoil size pickup I could find. I almost never play clean parts, btw. If you use your neck pickup for cleans, then I figure something like a semi-bright singlecoil would sound nice there.

As for setup...if the guitar works fine and you like how it plays, then it does NOT need a setup. However, I'm not anal about having my trem perfectly aligned with the body like most people here are. In fact, I like to set them up with a little bit of forward tilt. My guitars have top-mounted trems, and I want the trem to be parallell to the strings rather than the guitar body. Plus, it lets me pull up more.

I'm however NOT a fan of the JT580LP trem. Those angled saddles make it a pain in the butt to apply subtle palm muting to lead runs.
                      Thanks Sunbane for your help/advice.
                      I literally received the guitar in the mail yesterday. Tuned it up and started playing. No buzz, action is pretty low, and seems fine. I haven't changed the strings yet though i use daddarios xl120 (9's), which i believe are similar to what are the guitar right now - so i shouldn't have to adjust anything. The only thing i noticed was the angle of the trem. The trem on my ibanez is parallel to the body, which was why i asked the question. I don't know how to set up a guitar so i would be forced in bring it in to a local shop and probably be charged $50 which i would rather use towards new pickups. I need to see if i can work out a deal with the store if i bought pickups from them, would they do the setup and install pickups for a "discounted" price. OK, now i'm babbling....

As for the neck, i would use it for cleans really. So hot rails would probably be too hot. Thinking maybe cool rails or jbjr or lil demon. I had the demon (hum) in my ibanez neck and liked it but later changed it for the jazz. I am going back to the demon within the week.

Jeff
                      Kiesel Aries
                      Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
                        I don't know how to set up a guitar so i would be forced in bring it in to a local shop and probably be charged $50 which i would rather use towards new pickups.

Jeff
                        If you want to learn more: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679
                        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yeah, hang around here for a bit and search for appropriate threads when the need arises, and you'll soon be doing your own setup jobs. It isn't that hard - just takes a little know-how and a little experience and then you'll be fine.

To level out the bridge, you need to adjust the balance between the pull of the strings and the tremolo springs in the back. Take the back cover off and have a look. There are two screws holding the claw that the springs are attached to. Those are the screws you need to adjust, BUT remember to do it in small increments! Take a screwdriver and screw them in a half turn each. Now your tuning will be sharp, so you need to retune the guitar. Then check the tilt of the bridge. If you need to adjust it some more, do the process over again. That's all there is to balancing the bridge really - adjust those screws (a little), tune the guitar, check the angle - rinse and repeat until you're happy with the result.

However, be aware that this will alter your action a bit. In your case, it would get lower (closer to the frets), and you may have to adjust the height of the trem to get it back to where it was originally.

I think the fiddliest part to do in a setup job, is setting the intonation - especially with a Floyd type bridge. The rest is pretty easy to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            Yeah, hang around here for a bit and search for appropriate threads when the need arises, and you'll soon be doing your own setup jobs. It isn't that hard - just takes a little know-how and a little experience and then you'll be fine.

To level out the bridge, you need to adjust the balance between the pull of the strings and the tremolo springs in the back. Take the back cover off and have a look. There are two screws holding the claw that the springs are attached to. Those are the screws you need to adjust, BUT remember to do it in small increments! Take a screwdriver and screw them in a half turn each. Now your tuning will be sharp, so you need to retune the guitar. Then check the tilt of the bridge. If you need to adjust it some more, do the process over again. That's all there is to balancing the bridge really - adjust those screws (a little), tune the guitar, check the angle - rinse and repeat until you're happy with the result.

However, be aware that this will alter your action a bit. In your case, it would get lower (closer to the frets), and you may have to adjust the height of the trem to get it back to where it was originally.

I think the fiddliest part to do in a setup job, is setting the intonation - especially with a Floyd type bridge. The rest is pretty easy to do.

Whoa - thanks sunbane !

I'll give it a try tonight and see what happens. Hopefully as i tighten the screws the action doesn't get too low that it causes buzzing. but we'll see.

I intend to hang around here as i love my new jackson

Thansk again

Jeff
                            Kiesel Aries
                            Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Hi -
                              So was able to get the bridge almost flush with the body - better than it was before. After tuning and what not, no buzzing anywhere and it seems to be intonated (checked by comparing open string vs 12th fret tuning). Is that all?
                              If so, good cause the stock pickups are not that great and will have to go pretty soon. Other than that, i like the guitar. The neck is different from the ibanez in a good way.

Thanks again

Jeff
                              Kiesel Aries
                              Charvel USA Wild Card #3

Comment

Working...
                              X