Stealth TH-2 arrives!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth TH-2 arrives!

I finally scored a Jackson Stealth TH-2, in Cobalt Blue Satin and chrome hardware to match my beloved DR-2 USA. Got it for STUPID cheap on eBay, with hardcase and lots of extra goodies. After a string change, bridge block and cleaning (it was pretty gross out of the box), it looks and plays great! I remember seeing them back in 1996-97 at Guitar Center and lusting for one, but all I could afford was what ended up being my first Jackson: a JS-1 Dinky Reverse for $250. The TH-2, shipped in case, ended up costing less than that ten years later!

The headstock and fulcrum trem are an acquired taste, but none of my current guitars had either, and I've never had an H/S/H pickup arrangement before. Ash is my favorite body wood for both look and tone, although I don't know if I'll swap out the pickups or just leave them. A Full Shred would sound great in the bridge, but we shall see. The only thing I don't care for is the rather light rosewood board, but that's a minor issue. Did I mentioned it was STUPID cheap?

Here is the link to the catalog scan: http://www.audiozone.dk/CatalogScans...1996Page13.htm

And now, on to the pics...

sigpic

Looks nice, cool body figuring!
    Though this guitar is definitely not my cup of tea, with the fulcrum trem, 3x3 headstock and this pickup config.

But cool for you, you got something quite out of the ordinary there.
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

Nice axe! Put a Wilkinson and a set of sperzels on there, and you'll be good to go!
      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Just wondering is a Wilkinson a drop in replacement or do you need to redrill holes?

Comment

Originally posted by Jackson-Charvel View Post
          Just wondering is a Wilkinson a drop in replacement or do you need to redrill holes?
          Check the post spacing... chances are you may have to redrill the post holes.
          I installed a Wilkinson VS50 a few months back on a guitar that had a Fender two point fulcrum and I had to plug redrill the post holes.
          The lower post was off by an 1/8th of an inch... aint that a bitch.
          -Rick

Comment

Cool guitar...the stealth body is very comfy.
            Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Do you like the small fretwire?
              RR24M -SLATQH- 2 SLSMG's- DKMGT- 3DXMGT's
              CHS2 -Traditional- 2 SC90 Surfcasters
              Tacoma DR14 DM14 JR55
              Ibanez Artcore AM77, AF125NT,AS93

Comment

Nice finish... I dig that the wood grain shows through.

Comment

Nice color!
                  Check my bands!
                  www.myspace.com/magicktr
                  www.myspace.com/sinif64
                  www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Nice... my friend has a TH-1 in red, it's pretty much that but with a trem, ultra thin neck, and light as hell too.

Comment

I had some time to play around more with the TH-2 last night. Honestly, I didn't even notice the fretwire. The neck is definitely the thinnest I've ever played, but the overall feel is still comfortable. In comparison, I was never happy with the neck on my old KV-2, but I think it was a bit flatter. I dig the 3+3 headstock a LOT, and the body is ridiculously thin and light. It sounds good, although the Jackson pickups aren't anything amazing. I'm not going to replace them anytime soon though, as I'm somewhat inclined to leave things stock.

Same goes for the bridge. It's certainly better than the cheap Strat-style trems on a lot of budget guitars, and the tuners are better than I was expecting. Depending on how I like the Wilkinson EZ-LOK tuners that I just put on one of my other Jacksons (waiting on pickup fix), I might get some for the Stealth, as they don't require drilling.

The total price on this, with shipping, hard case and all the included accessories, was $189. Not too shabby!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                        Check the post spacing... chances are you may have to redrill the post holes.
                        I installed a Wilkinson VS50 a few months back on a guitar that had a Fender two point fulcrum and I had to plug redrill the post holes.
                        The lower post was off by an 1/8th of an inch... aint that a bitch.
                        Good point. The Wilky uses a 2 3/16" post spacing, so you'd have to check that. If you're going to re-drill it anyway, you may as well give it the full FR treatment!
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

That looks pretty damn cool! Congrats!
                          THIS SPACE FOR RENT

Comment

sweet axe!
                            I have a TH-1 with the exact same body color. I digs it.
                            You don't see too many of the TH series of geetars.
                            I haven't anyways. Bought mine used from GC.
                            Well actually the wife picked it up as a gift for me, after she seen me eyeing it.

Comment

Working...
                            X