"You can't build a decent neck-through guitar for under $1000"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You can't build a decent neck-through guitar for under $1000"

I seem to remember that being said by a certain JCMI rep after the buyout when the issue was brought up about the high prices for neckthrough Professional models.

http://www.rakuten.co.jp/34music/743934/744894/751339/

Note the List Price, as well as the Street Price.

I have 2 JacksonStars models (both NASLs) and can vouch for their quality, so how is it again that we can't get this stuff in the USA?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

I guess he's really saying he doesn't consider those Jackson Stars "decent." Doesn't the KB RR street for under a G? Are those not decent?
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

I think it's the old,"it will cut into USA select sales thing again". Why buy a WR1 when you could get one of those stars for alot cheaper.
      METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

International rivalry? they got their 'selects', you got yours? on a different aspect, we uk guitarists face the same problem. to get a new import, it's 3-6 months, to get a usa select, it's 9 month+, i won't dare order a custom.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Somebody translate those prices, my Japanese is not so good.
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Sale price like $587. Do the math if you care about list price

Comment

For prices, I use
              Y130,000 = Japan price
              take off two zeros (1300) = roughly $USA
              half that (6500) = roughly £UK

If it ain't exact enough for you....use xe.com currency translator.

Comment

According to XE.com:

List Price: 144900yen = $1216.36
                Sale Price: 69980yen = $587.90

I own a Grover Jackson soloist that plays so good, it's my main guitar at the moment. It's a neck-through, and the list price was 80,000yen ($671.57).

Of course, I bought it used and paid less than half that
                Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Look at Jackson's competition. BC RICH, ESP, Schecter, Washburn all make set necks or neck thrus for under $600. yes there are mostly made in korea, but there are up there in quality. Neck binding and shell and all

Comment

Pricing: First 4 numbers is usually close to the USA price, so 144,900Y would be roughly $1449. Actual price will vary according to the exchange rate, of course, but when I bought my two NASLs, that "conversion technique" was within $100-$200 by the time each deal was concluded.

I can understand they don't want to see a repeat of the neckthrough Pros outselling the USAs, but it's still possible to have enough difference between the two besides pickups and other easily-replaceable hardware.

How about striped ebony or even rosewood boards, and leaving "black" ebony on USA models? Use pearloid and MOTO and phenolic resin (black fins) instead of MOP and Ebony.
                    Even Duncan Designed pickups and JT580s are fine. By the time anyone shells out $200+ for a genuine OFR or Schaller, then the cost for their favorite "name brand" pickups, as well as higher quality tuners and pots, they've spent as much as a USA model, and still don't have MOP/ebony inlays.

I know some think of this as a dead horse, and others see it as a potential harm to JCMI, but I see it as a topic that should be negotiated until it becomes a reality AND doesn't pose a viable threat to JCMI. I don't want to see Jackson fall just so I can get a cheaper neckthrough import - there's plenty of 90-91 Pros out there (somewhere - at Joel's house ), but what's "the big secret" that's really behind the issue?
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They are not going to loss sales to themselves with the Japanese models, everyone seems to be going to ESP and buying a neck thru with active emgs for $700! or $420 with cheap pups.

Comment

If the USA line would lose sales, then maybe the Custom Shop would be able to catch up with their orders?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          How about striped ebony or even rosewood boards, and leaving "black" ebony on USA models?
                          Then you'd have every idiot posting how they don't like rosewood or striped ebony and that they want to "ebonize" their fingerboards... just like they do now.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            Then you'd have every idiot posting how they don't like rosewood or striped ebony and that they want to "ebonize" their fingerboards... just like they do now.
                            true, but we could do it ourselves and save a couple of hundred-
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Indeed! LOL
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X