Model Comparison: Performer vs. Professional vs. KE3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model Comparison: Performer vs. Professional vs. KE3

I am wanting to buy a used Kelly. Can someone tell me the differences between the Performer series, the Professional series, and a KE3? I know the KE3's are the newest imports but how do they stack up against the older imports?

Thanks.
    E = Fb

A ke-3 in fact is a professional series Jackson. And is being produced since 1996. Performer series can be considered between the js series and the X series jacksons

If I were to buy an import kelly (a budget model) I'd try to snag a "kelly xl". They are produced before 96 (ke-3's replaced them) and have bound fretboard-headstock. Also IIRC they have real mop inlays. You can find these on evilbay and they seem to go cheaper than ke-3's since most people don't know much about them.

Here's a picture for you;

If you can't find one of these go with a ke-3. I'd ignore the performer.

One last thing if you have enough cash and if you have the luck try to find a kelly pro, which is also a pre-96 model. neck thru, with real mop inlays and jackson logo. Also they have the jt-590 which is a much better trem than the jt-580 (the one on ke-3 and kelly xl)

Good luck!
    Check my bands!
    www.myspace.com/magicktr
    www.myspace.com/sinif64
    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I figure that the performers are the lowest quality but not by much. Some ke3's are professionals so Im not really sure about that one. Anyway heres a decent deal on a used kelly. Cheap shipping too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Kelly-re...QQcmdZViewItem

Comment

Originally posted by Carbuff
        I figure that the performers are the lowest quality but not by much. Some ke3's are professionals so Im not really sure about that one. Anyway heres a decent deal on a used kelly. Cheap shipping too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Jackson-Kelly-re...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks, that's one I've been watching.

I appreciate the knowledge guys!
        E = Fb

Comment

All KE3's are professionals. The newest version just doesnt say porofessional on the headstock. The PS6T (performer series Kelly) is a nice guitar but make sure you get one made in japan and not korea if you decide on one of those. You can tell the differance by the 12th fret dots are closer together on the Japanese ones and almost to the edge of the finger board on the korean ones. Plus the seriel number on the Japanes ones starts with a 9 and the korean start with 10. The performer seires Are well made guitars (japanese)
          that were right below the professional series in appointments and options. Alder bodies ,Jackson pickups nice necks and dot inlays and a JT580lp trem.
          You can usualyl find them for a couple hundred bucks on ebay or used at a store. They werent that expensive new so they're reasonably priced used.
          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine
            A ke-3 in fact is a professional series Jackson. And is being produced since 1996. Performer series can be considered between the js series and the X series jacksons

If I were to buy an import kelly (a budget model) I'd try to snag a "kelly xl". They are produced before 96 (ke-3's replaced them) and have bound fretboard-headstock. Also IIRC they have real mop inlays. You can find these on evilbay and they seem to go cheaper than ke-3's since most people don't know much about them.

Here's a picture for you;

If you can't find one of these go with a ke-3. I'd ignore the performer.

One last thing if you have enough cash and if you have the luck try to find a kelly pro, which is also a pre-96 model. neck thru, with real mop inlays and jackson logo. Also they have the jt-590 which is a much better trem than the jt-580 (the one on ke-3 and kelly xl)

Good luck!
            what amazes me is that all these 90's pros outgun what we have today. and what are we doing? we're buying these revised versions!
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I had a Kelly XLR that I really loved! Same as the XL, just reversed inlays and headstock. I kinda miss that guitar.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam
                I had a Kelly XLR that I really loved! Same as the XL, just reversed inlays and headstock. I kinda miss that guitar.
                I always wanted one of those! But there are some more important ones on the list before the kelly xlr!
                Check my bands!
                www.myspace.com/magicktr
                www.myspace.com/sinif64
                www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Like wierd shaped ltd's? Just kidding.

I have a ke-1 and a ke-3. I have also owned a few performers. I think Berkay pretty much nailed the review. Ke-3's are good as well, I'd recommend a pre-duncan designed model from 96 or before IIRC. If you do go for a ke-3 see if you can try it out before you buy, as they all sound different in my experience.
                  Last edited by levantin; 09-09-2006, 05:28 PM.
                  I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Axe Chemist
                    Thanks, that's one I've been watching.

I appreciate the knowledge guys!
                    Kelly in auction is a KE3R
                    "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The Performer Kelly's I've played were as good as the KE3 I had. Only differences I noted were the inlays and other cosmetics.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

The Performer version was also available with a TOM bridge instead of Floyd...I believe the PS6 vs. PS6T. They don't seem to turn up nearly as often, but I saw a metallic green one on eBay that looked pretty slick.
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X