Jackson Japan Custom Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Japan Custom Shop?

I have an opportunity to buy a mint condition guitar purported to be a Japan Custom Shop Jackson Soloist for $579. I'm not sure, but it might be a scam. I've never heard of the "Japan Custom Shop". It looks like a standard Jackson Japan SL-3 to me, with the same PUPS (neck and middle Duncan Hot Rails + bridge Duncan JB), the same Flame maple Top (veneer?), and the same non-OFR Jackson Locking Tremolo that the SL-3's came with a couple of years ago. The serial number is 032478. It does not have any marking on it indicating MIJ. Is this legitimate?

Thanks,
    Ricey

The Japanese factory that makes Jacksons (Chu-Shin Gakki) does make custom guitars to order, at least for the Japanese market.

Legitimate or not, if the guitar plays well and is worth $579 to you, then go for it

Hope this helps,
    -QR
    Until you get weaned off the boobie, you are going to have to do what the wife wants too. -Rsmacker

Comment

Hello Ricey,
      I'd say that is an SL-3:

1) The japanese custom shop makes custom guitars for the japanese market. They will not make customs that are intended for the western market. You can still call up a japanese dealer and order one, but:

2) The Jackson guitars made for the japanese market say "Jackson Stars" on the headstock (due to some legal matter). Website here: www.jacksonstars.com. Any japan-made guitar saying just "Jackson" on the headstock is made for the western market, and is thus not a custom.

3) It would be rather stupid to order a custom with a JT580LP trem, and with "Duncan Designed" pickups on it.

There's this old proverb that goes: "If it looks like an SL3, walks like an SL3 and talks like an SL3...it most likely is an SL3.

It's laughable what people are trying to pass off their guitars for. If it isn't "custom", it is "rare" or "pre Fender". And it's always "mint", even when not having the original knobs and missing the back plates.

That been said, it's not too bad a price for an SL3, is it? You could try to haggle it down a little I suppose.
      Last edited by Sunbane; 07-25-2006, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Since its used, $579 is probably a little too high. BTW, this is GC trying to pass this off as a "Custom Shop" Model.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricey
          BTW, this is GC trying to pass this off as a "Custom Shop" Model.
          That doesn't surprise me at all. While there are some knowledgeable folks at some GC stores, it seems that alot of them don't know their ass from a hole in the ground.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I was just looking on ebay and used SL-3's are going anywhere from $599 to $699, so I guess it is not a bad deal, but the idea of them tagging it as Japan Custom Shop Soloist really bothers me.

Comment

sound control tried to pass off my dx10dfs as a "soloist" for £600 before i told them what it actually is. took them over a year to knock it down to a more realistic price so i could buy it.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
              X