Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RX10D Questions

Hello.

About 6 months ago, I purchased an RX10D off of eBay because I fell in love with the top (as it reminds me of Dime's Brazilia Burst Dean's). As it turns out, I am the third owner, and seemingly the first to take care of the guitar.

Here's my misadventure.

When it arrived, the action was set so low, the strings were practically laying on the frets. Now I know why the kid said "it looks good hanging on the wall." The pickup rings were missing screws. The neck pickup flopped around when you strummed hard. The Jackson Floyd was missing 4 out of 6 string blocks. There is a dent in the upper wing's paint that looks like it was tapped with a ball peen hammer. There is a chip on the wing tip completely through the finish, though it does show the finish rather thick. The case looks like UPS backed over it, and smelled like it was soaked in coffee. No wrenches. No keys for the lock, either.

I was more than a little upset, but ended up taking the guitar to a shop a block from my fiancee for a full setup and cleaning, and to install a new set of humbuckers and flushmount straplocks. I was told it'd be done over the weekend. Fast forward two weeks, and the gentleman informs me he cannot get the Jackson string blocks, and that I ought to order a new Floyd. He says he can get me a licensed for $300. At this point, I know he was pulling my chain because I've seen Original Floyds for less than $200 online. I end up ordering a Schaller with nut, for about $100. I take it to the shop, and I am told I oughta have it by the end of the week.

I call, and the man informs me he hasn't installed the bridge, and that he had to wire something or other to the tone pot because the body was too thin around the volume pot. I immediate was alarmed, as my guitar does not have a tone pot, and my guitar was not an Ibanez S-series, either.

A week later, I stop in the stop in person. Guitar's still not done, and I'm told the end of the week. The end of the week arrives, and my guitar is finally ready. I pull it out of the case in the shop, and immediately notice the wood shavings in it. The strap locks were drilled in the case. I don't say anything however, as I'm just geeked to have my guitar back. I should have thoroughly inspected it there.

When I got it back to my fiancee's, I notice it's not in tune at all, and buzzing all over the place. Then, worst of all, I notice there is now (what I hope is only) a finish crack on the neck pocket. I'm furious. I had dumped over $400 into a guitar that was supposed to only cost $400 just to make it playable, and it still wasn't.

Fast forward 6 months.

I've been working on doing my own setups, but I am hindered in the fact that the slot the trussrod nut sits in is so thin. That, and I've never really adjusted a neck before. I am taking it in to a different shop to be fully setup this time, fretboard cleaned and oiled etc, and the trem blocked (I just dont use it).

As it sits now, it has a Seymour Duncan '59 and Dimebucker, Schaller Floyd, Tremol-no, and Dunlop Flushmount Straplocks. I've sanded the neck, and slightly rounded the lower fretboard edge.

So that's my story on how I came to the Jackson family. Now I want a KBR.

This is about the best pic of the guitar I have at the moment. From left to right:

Alvarez accoustic/electric, Gibson Les Paul Voodoo, LTD EC-1000VB (sold ), Jackson RX10D.

Here are my questions.

How would I date the guitar? The neckplate is a plain piece with the serial stamped in it, not some of the fancier Jackson logo'd ones. The top looks much deeper than other veener guitars that I've seen, and the color is drastically different depending on the light.
    I have an R3 or R4 (I forget which) nut that was supposed to be installed, but wasn't. I've experimented with it, and it seems to almost double the string height. Is this worth working with? Would I have to grind the bottom down some?
    Did anyone notice that this year's RX10D's are basswood?
    Prior to this year, what were the differences between the RR3's and RX10D's (aside from the control cavity differences)?

I had my mother get me the serial number, since I'm staying over at my fiancee's tonight. My serial is: 00043101, plain silver neckplate. I may be imagining this, but I remember pulling a Made in Japan sticker off of the heel.
    Last edited by H3LL5P4WN; 07-24-2006, 07:27 PM.

Hello, and welcome to the JCF!

Yes, this year's X-series is made of basswood. Previously it was made of either poplar or alder (can't remember which).

The biggest differences between your guitar and an RR-3, are probably just the control layout and the jack location (on the RR-3, it is in an upside down strat-plate in the upper wing).

Pretty much the only thing you can discern from the serial, is in which country it was manufactured. A serial starting with "9" would indicate Japan, while a serial starting with "0" or "1" would indicate India. If you post the full serial, maybe Ron (RacerX) could give you a ballpark figure of which year it may have been made, but you could also take the neck off and see if you find any stamps on the neck heel.

It's a beautiful guitar, and I love that finish!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane
      Yes, this year's X-series is made of basswood. Previously it was made of either poplar or alder (can't remember which).
      Alder.

Welcome! I have a RX10D aswell .

Comment

Thanks for the welcoming.

I'm 90% sure it's a '9' serial number. I'll get the full number when I get home.

Comment

Welcome to the Jcf , that Les Paul Voodoo is gorgeous, so is the top on your RX10D! And that's a nice piece of dark rosewood on your fretboard...

About the R3/R4 nut, you should be able to adjust the string height after installing it.
          Check my bands!
          www.myspace.com/magicktr
          www.myspace.com/sinif64
          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine
            Welcome to the Jcf , that Les Paul Voodoo is gorgeous, so is the top on your RX10D! And that's a nice piece of dark rosewood on your fretboard...

About the R3/R4 nut, you should be able to adjust the string height after installing it.
            Thanks for the compliments on the top; now you see why I had to pull the trigger.

I did install the R-nut, however the actual height of the nut is higher than the Jackson nut I have. I lowered the bridge to compensate, but the string height at the first few frets was still exceptionally high. Does that make more sense?

Comment

X series were alder until July 2006, when they are switching to basswood.

You haven't given the ser# yet.....tap tap tap
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                X series were alder until July 2006, when they are switching to basswood.

You haven't given the ser# yet.....tap tap tap
                I haven't gone home yet, either.

Comment

OK, hurry up....gimme the full #

Comment

rx10d in burnt cherry sunburst? dang. all i can get is amber sunburst on imports.
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi
                      rx10d in burnt cherry sunburst? dang. all i can get is amber sunburst on imports.
                      Depending on the light, it almost looks amber, and depending on the lack of light, it almost looks like dark tobacco.

I take it I have sort of a rare finish?

Comment

possibly. i've got a dx10d (strat version) in amber sunburst and it never looks like that. i've seen plenty of usa's in bcsb in different lighting conditions and that's what your rx looks like, so chances are you got an older one before they started restricting the finishes. you've certainly gone thru a lot of hassle to get that guitar sorted. i'm picking up mine later this week after a (supposed) setup, which has now taken over a week (hence the reason for my signature)
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Yeah I have. If I had known I'd have to do what I did to get it playable, I may have had second thoughts buying it. I planned on the pickup swap and the strap locks, not everything else though.

SN posted in original post.
                          Last edited by H3LL5P4WN; 07-24-2006, 07:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by H3LL5P4WN
                            My serial is: 00043101, plain silver neckplate. I may be imagining this, but I remember pulling a Made in Japan sticker off of the heel.
                            Well, you could be imagining it, heh. Some jerk may have placed the sticker on there, but that ser# tells us that it was made in India, most likely in 2000 or 2001.

I concur with NextinLine though, it is a very pretty top and the rosewood is quite dark for an Indian guitar. Body wood is Alder w/ Flame Maple Veneer. Plus it's rear loaded, that's kinda cool for a Rhoads.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX
                              Well, you could be imagining it, heh. Some jerk may have placed the sticker on there, but that ser# tells us that it was made in India, most likely in 2000 or 2001.
                              How about the plain silver neckplate Ron? Is that usual?
                              Check my bands!
                              www.myspace.com/magicktr
                              www.myspace.com/sinif64
                              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                              X