Where is this PS-4 made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where is this PS-4 made?

The link to the picture: http://www.zvuk.nnov.ru/forum/index....post&id=184592

The serial number is 1043204. On the one hand, it should undoubtedly be Korean. But the thing that confused me is dots on the neck. As far as I remember (correct me if I'm wrong), the dots on the 12th,... frets on korean models should be on a bigger distance from one another, but here....In a word, waiting for answer.

If I'm not mistaken, the PS-4 has the offset dots, doesn't it?

I can't see your link. That forum requires membership to view and my russian is a bit rusty (think a bolt frozen in rust actually)
    Occupy JCF

Comment

Sorry, for the incorrect link. Now everything is clear, the dots are offset on the image, it's really korean. Thank you for the answer, I thought offset dots are on japanesse versions
      8-)

Comment

I'm not 100% sure it is Korean. The data I have is that they're made in Japan. I've also read on this forum that there's a mix of both Japan and Korean made Performer series guitars.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

I have a PS-4 that has the off-set dots. It is made in Japan. Not the best picture, but here it is:

Alvin
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I had a PS4 neck on a Warrior MG body. I'm pretty sure it was Japanese.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm pretty sure that a serial number starting with "1" is Korean.
              sigpic

Comment

I'm not 100% sure about that. There really isn't anything set in stone about serial numbers and origin as far as I know.
                Occupy JCF

Comment

But Tekky, if it was MIJ, wouldn't the ser# start w/ 9?
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

I don't know. I have not seen anything concrete in regards to where an import guitar is made based upon the serial number. There are subtle hints in features such as the 12th fret dots.

Now, looking back at the old MoAIP files, I do see them listed as having a Japanese origin, however each picture has a guitar with the 12th fret dots far apart. (except for the PS-4) This indicates Korean, Indonesian, or Chinese origin.

Alvin says his is from Japan. I am guessing this is because there's a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the neck. So, we have at least one guitar in contention for the "Performer = Korean" thought.

- It is possible that just the PS-4 was made in Japan and the others were in Korea.
                    - Another possibility is that some of the earlier versions were made in Japan and then moved to Korea at a later date.

Unfortunately we don't have any documentation in regards to this. So, I would say that we're all speculating. Maybe we can get John Walker to dig a little. However, I'm sure he'd rather focus on the future Jackson/Charvels than something that's practically ancient history to him.
                    Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky
                      Alvin says his is from Japan. I am guessing this is because there's a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the neck. So, we have at least one guitar in contention for the "Performer = Korean" thought.
                      Yes, there was a MIJ sticker on the neck heel. Not sure if if is still there. Had my mother-in-law check the serial # for me: 1050415

Alvin
                      MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I used to have a ps-4. It was mij. My ps-2 however is made in korea. I dont know if it means anything, but my korean ps2 has a black veneer cap on the headstock but my ps-4 was just painted. I have a ps-4 neck on my kelly mutt and it has a painted headstock too. Both ps-4 necks were very thin and glossy while the ps-2 neck is kinda chunky and satin-like. I dont know what it all means but it might lend some clues as to country of origin.

Comment

I'm also pretty sure that made in japan ps-4's have the serial 96... And I also remember seeing both made in japan and korean ps-2's. So probably performers were produced in Korea at some time
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64
                          www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Well, another Korean-made PS-7 with a 9 serial number...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...697#post739697
                            Occupy JCF

Comment

Originally posted by Tekky
                              Well, another Korean-made PS-7 with a 9 serial number...

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...697#post739697
                              Well that's confusing but maybe that neck plate isn't the original one?

Edit: Oh, I thought that was a thread from years ago, so I think I should go ask markD
                              Check my bands!
                              www.myspace.com/magicktr
                              www.myspace.com/sinif64
                              www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Working...
                              X