Newbie Import Jackson RR Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Import Jackson RR Questions

First off, I am a newbie to this site and love the fact that there is a place to meet about the best shred machines ever made for the working man.

I recently purchased a used and highly abused Jackson JRR94 Randy Rhoads guitar that has had some poor modifications done to it. Such as, the black bridge pickup ring was replaced with a white neck pickup ring (and colored with a Sharpie, most of the way,...no kidding) and the jack plate was replaced with a homebrew jack plate made out of a piece of leather guitar strap (also, no kidding). I have the proper parts on order and expect to get the darned thing back to par very soon.

A Jackson/Charvel owner suggested that I replace the nut with a graphite nut. Questions...what nut width should I go for (1-11/16" is the best information I have found) and how is the nut held in-place (by string tension or light glue)?

Both tips of this Flying V are nicked (one tip is big-time broken). Typical damage for a Jackson Rhoads with no Straploks (why aren't axes fitted with Straploks at the factory...geesh). Am I better to leave it alone, or sand down the breaks and touchup with paint? No way to upload pics at the moment.

Lastly, I could not help from jamming with it as soon as I purchased it. The tone is killer compared to my Explorer and Epi Flying V. But I have found that a set of strings only lasts about 2-3 jam sessions before one of them break at the through-body V-plate. The plate is string-grooved, which explains the premature wear on the strings. Question...am I good to Dremel the grooves out and touchup with paint, or will this just happen again?

Thanks for the guidance.

i wouldn't pull out a Dremel just yet. first run some wet sandpaper or a small file along the groove to remove any sort of burrs (maybe remove the plate from the guitar altogether when doing this). do it gently and a bit at a time.

Comment

Welcome newbie! Good intro.

For pickup rings and other parts:

http://www.fretsonthenet.com

That is Budman, a respected member of this board...tell him I sent ya!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
      X