Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pics of Dinky Reverse DR3/DR5 in Graphite finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of Dinky Reverse DR3/DR5 in Graphite finish?

I have a USA DR2 with blue satin finish over ash and am trying to find out what import equivalent had the black or gray Graphite (flat)finish similar to it. This would have been a mid `90s model, either DR3 or DR5, without sharkfins.

Anyone have pics or other info? Graphite might not be the correct finish name, but that's what it was called at a store where I saw one of these many years ago.
    sigpic

Re: Pics of Dinky Reverse DR3/DR5 in Graphite finish?

Jackson Dinky Reverse DR5 in Stone finish.

Comment

I think that is a killer finish, I saw some spray paint at Walmart that is supposed to look something like that, thought about trying it on one of my cheapie guitars.
      I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        Jackson Dinky Reverse DR5 in Stone finish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not the same thing. You're not too far off. He is loooking for a DR5. (Dot inlays - the DR3 had sharkfins) This may sound like symantics but the guitar with the Stone finish (official name) in the picture is the predecessor to the DR5 and is just the Dinky Reverse.

The Dinky Reverse was made from 1992-1995 and had the Stone finish but did not have the Graphite finish. However in 1996 when they changed the model name to DR5 they dropped the Stone finish and one of the 3 colors available was Graphite. (the other two were Black and Ultra Violet)

The finish he's looking for, and correct me if I'm wrong, is similar to gun metal gray, but a smidge darker and flat instead of glossy. Sorry I just can't provide a picture of it.
        Occupy JCF

Comment

> The catalog that year had a pic of the Ultra Violet,and it was a trans finish over a veneer top like the DK2,almost black around the edges on most of the ones I've seen actual pics of,and fading to purple,and almost to lavender on one. The graphite is pretty much Gun Metal gray,but sanded back to no gloss. I don't know if this is the case with the Graphite,but the Cobalt Blue-looking one you could actually see and feel wood grain behind it. It's textured as opposed to be it totally smooth and dull. I can honestly say this is my favorite Jackson for my own personal preferences. I swear I'd rather have one these brand new than anything they currently make,for a couple reasons. I like bolt-on necks for tweakability on the thickness and backshape,without having to deal with stripping the finish on the neck on a brand new SL2H or go sanding on a DK1,which would be my cost-no-object choice in the current USA lineup,they smoke all the imports now. I like the offset dots a LOT better than sharkfins. I kind of like rosewood too. I also really like the no-rings look. If I was looking to buy a new guitar,I honestly would rather have a NOS one like this than anything but a Custom Shop. Even IF I was to order one from them,put an OFR and MAYBE an ebony board with black binding with a Charvel logo and there ya go,that will be 2500 bucks. Even as much as I like Jacksons,that is a straight-up crime in my book. For that price,I should be able to get 7-8 of these. Tommy D.
          "I'm going to try and work it out so at the end it's a pure guts race......because if it is.....I'm the only one that can win" - Steve Prefontaine

Comment

Re: Pics of Dinky Reverse DR3/DR5 in Graphite fini

Right, the finish I'm talking about is flat/satin with "open" woodgrain (ash) and no clear. For the sake of comparison, I believe the Gibson Voodoo models are like this based on pics I've seen.

The USA and Pro Super Dinky (SDK) also were available in this finish.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X