Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG owners (pup related)

Hey guys,
    Those of you who have switched out the pups...what did you switch to? I replaced mine with Dimarzio's (Evo-bridge/PAF pro-neck) but I'm not satisfied with them. They sound good, much better than the stock ones. Right now the only reason why I'm even considering keeping the Evo in the bridge is because it is SILENT compared to my other EMG equipped guitars. My other main guitar is an SL2H with an EMG 85 in the bridge and I'm quite happy with it, but godamn it's noisy as hell, even after being professionally shielded. Regardless I'm seriously considering throwin EMG's in this guitar too. I just don't know wether the mahogony will be too dark for the 85's. Anyways, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!
    www.SeveredSavior.com

Re: SLSMG owners (pup related)

Hmm...my EMG-equipped guitars were always more quiet than my other guitars... [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
    As for mahogany guitars, I've had an 85 in my 750XL, but even though it sounded better than the stock pup, it just didn't "rock" somehow. I used to have an 81 in my old Flying V, and that's the only guitar I've really liked the 81 in.

Comment

I don't know what the deal is [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
      I have a Kelly with an 81 in the bridge, and an SL2H with an 85 in the bridge. The SLSMG with an Evo in the bridge is completely silent compared to the other 2. When playing the other 2 guitars, it's buzz city unless I keep the guitar pointed at a certain direction.
      www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

I've never had an issue with any of my EMG's either. If anything, the guitars I have with SD's are a bit noiser/more prone to feedback.

As far as the SLSMG, when I had mine I had an 85 in the bridge and an 81 in the neck and was pretty happy with that combo. I'm a big 85 fan though, and even have them in my LP's, and don't think its muddy in them.

Comment

I put an 81 in the bridge of my nephews SLSMG being how it is a brighter sounding pickup than the 85, and mahogany is darker sounding than most guitar woods, I would try the 81, sounds great in his SLSMG. Bill
          METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I've got the 85 in the bridge of my all mahogany Les Paul Studio (even the carved top is mahogany) with an 81 in the neck, and I love it! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna try an 85 first, if that doesn't do the trick I'll pop an 81 in there and see how it goes. I'm also kind of interested in checking out some of those APC persuaders. Anyone have any experiance with those?
              www.SeveredSavior.com

Comment

Do a search for APC in the tech Q&A section. We've had a few a couple of reviews of them there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I've been thinking of Lawrences an L500 in the bridge and a L609 in the neck.
                  I've heard good things about them and don't like actives much.
                  Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day, set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Thanks for the responses guys. I think I'm gonna try an 85 first, if that doesn't do the trick I'll pop an 81 in there and see how it goes. I'm also kind of interested in checking out some of those APC persuaders. Anyone have any experiance with those?

[/ QUOTE ]

If your doing it yourself it doesn't matter much, it's your time. But if you're paying to have it done you may want to consider an 85/81 combo. You have to replace the jack and pots for the active bridge pickup and I think they recomend agianst combining active with passives (your current neck pup).
                    The EMG's have a wire "harness/plug" system so you can swap the pup positions very easily. So if you get an 81/85/60 whatever combo you can always swap which one you want in the bridge or neck position. Good luck!
                    Karl

Comment

Working...
                    X