Show me your modded guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show me your modded guitar.

I want to mod my Jackson JS20, but I need some inspiration, so It'd be nice if you guys could show me some pictures of your modded guitars.

Re: Show me your modded guitar.

i modded my jackson dxmgt with EMG ZW pickups. i think pickups must be the first priority in modding your guitar. cheers.

Comment

Yeah pups is the first priority, but I'm having trouble picking pickups, I don't know what I want [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Nice guitar btw. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

thanks, well for me i found that EMG's are sterile at first but if you have patience in tweaking and proper EQ, you can find that it's good all rounder. if it's not in your budget, try seymour duncans. there's a tone chart there to help you what to pick and what's suitable for you. good luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

I like the Duncan Distortion in the bridge

Comment

I agree, pickups are first priority - at least the bridge pickup. The choice of model depends a bit on what you're going to play. If you're into death metal, I'm pretty certain you would like EMGs. If you're into more classic metal (like Judas or W.A.S.P for instance), you may like Duncans better.

It's also popular to upgrade the bridge, but I'm not sure what would work as a replacement for the fulcrum trem on the JS-20, or what benefits such a mod would have...

Then you could also add a pre-amp, like a gain booster for instance. Or make cosmetic changes with decals or car striping tape. =)

Some of my mods on various guitars:

1) Jackson RR-X (since sold):
              * Changed pickups to EMG-85(b) & EMG-58(n).
              * Changed bridge from JT-580LP to a Schaller Floyd.
              * Moved the volume knob out of the way.
              * Moved the strap pins for better balance.
              * Replaced the strap pins with Schaller strap locks.

2) Charvel Model 6:
              * Bridge changed from JT-6 to an OFR.
              (done by previous owner).
              * Nut changed to OFR locking nut.
              * Stained fretboard darker
              * Removed the JE1200 mid-boost pre-amp.
              * Changed the bridge pickup from J50BC to an EMG-85.
              * Changed the neck pickup from J200 to EMG-S.
              * Moved the volume knob out of the way.
              * Took out the EMGs and put in a DiMarzio X2N at the bridge slot.
              * Took out the singlecoil pickups entirely and replaced them with fakes
              (empty black covers).
              * Rewired it all with new pots and set up a coil split switch.

Charvel 750XL:
              * Replaced stock pickups with EMGs (85(b) and 58(n)).
              * Replaced the EMGs with a Duncan Distortion (b) and Jackson J50B(n).

Comment

Here's some mods I've done over the last couple of years:

1986 Model 5 refin and hardware converted to all chrome. Both pups were replaced with J90Cs, mid boost circuit removed, wired with super switch in LP style.

1986 Model 1C (?), stripped and oiled finish applied. Looked pretty good for basswood. JB in the bridge, stock Jackson singles, Gotoh V trem.

1986 model 6 I did for budman. Originally black with Kahler. Complete refin, converted to single hum/vol., Kahler hole filled (I'm sure Dave has better pics!)

1988 Model 3DR. Stripped to bare wood when I got it. Refinned in black, converted to single hum (Duncan Invader), gold hardware, V-trem with ghost peizos & pre-amp, wired in stereo.

1989 Charvel Predator. Originally black. Refinned white with spiderweb graphic, Duncan Invader, stock Jackson dual rail, JT6, strung 13-54, tuned to c.

And of course the black Rhoads I'm doing right now. My next hack will be the DK2M! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I'm more into Judas priest, Iron Maiden and so on so I think I'll go with some Duncans.

A pre-amp might also be a cool thing to add. and the car striping tape is quite an easy mod to do, how come I didn't think of that [img]/images/graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Do you know where in Sweden I can find fretboard-stain?

The pots on my guitar are very noisy and they scratch alot, If you know what I mean? What kind of pots should I get? Does that depend on pickupchoice?

Thanks for the information, and I hope you can answer some of these questions too [img]/images/graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

mm2002> That black with single hum is sweet! I want my guitar to look like that [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

How did you convert it to a single hum?

Comment

Bondo my friend! [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I don't even know what bondo is [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Comment

I really like the Mod 5 upgrade youve done...looks great with the chrome

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                            I don't even know what bondo is [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is used in a Automotive body work.It is a filler to get panels straight and smooth that can not be hammered out.Sort of like a clay that hardens.Any auto or marine supply store should be able to help you out in finding it.
                            Mike
                            --------------------------------------------------------------------
                            SLS TG // SLATQH TSB // 2 CS Soloists both 24.75 scale // 5 Archtop PROs //

Comment

...and now we wait for Newcenstein to show up.. and flood the thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X