About to Get my First Jackson!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to Get my First Jackson!

I play in a couple of harder rock bands and decided it was time for a serious shred guitar. Would have liked an American soloist, but was not ready to fork out the cash for that - yet. I thought I'd ease in slowly.

I wanted a simple, black guitar with the pointy headstork. It had to have sharkfin inlay - it had to be a Jackson. I didn't want EMGs (have them on another guitar). I wanted to be able to switch out the pickups if I wanted to with no fuss. I've had Ibanezes before - liked the necks but never really bonded with them, a couple of Schecters, which I sold to other bandmates. I've always been a LP/strat person.

But, the DK2 looked perfect. People seem to really like them, other forums had great reviews. I really liked the Eerie Dess color, but since I'm ordering it, I wanted a brighter one, and many are very dark. So I decided to go with basic black. It will be here tomorrow or thursday. I figure if I like it, I can always pick up an ED one down the road.

I can't wait!! Looking forward to being in the Jackson family.

Re: About to Get my First Jackson!

Hey, man! Welcome to the forum! You've made an excellent choice in the DK2, my friend. I've got 2 arriving tomorrow. I did a lot of research on them before choosing that model and the members here played a big part in my decision. Lots of good people here with tons and tons of experience and sage advice. Once again, welome! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Thanks Halsey. I did a lot of research too. I felt the DK2 was probably the closest to the soloist I was going to get. No ebony fretboard or neck through, but alder body, looks, etc. There were a couple of others in the running, but I really wanted the regular non-reverse headstock with the inlays.

So, you have two coming? Different colors I imagine? I have a feeling I'll eventually end up with two also. What other ones do you have, or are these your first?

Comment

First Jacksons! I bought a black DK2S for my son and a Crimson Swirl DK2 for me. Bought them from Kevin @ Easton Guitars (look up [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ) and had him replace the stock bridge pup on both with Seymour Duncan Distortions. I based this on some of the advice I received from JCF members. I haven't played in 15 years so I decided to get me a new guitar when I started shopping for my son's second guitar. A Jackson has always been my dream guitar and is the logical choice for my son's first quality guitar. Good luck on your choice! You won't be disappointed! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
        My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

I played a DK 2 at guitar center. besides the fact that it was set up poorly, and the strings felt 9 months old, It was a neat guitar for the price. The neck was a bit too thin for me. reminded me of a wizard neck, which hurt my hands alot. too flat, I need something to fill out in my hand.

but they look like real cool guitars for 450 bucks!

Comment

Hi,

I've recently joined the Jackson family, coming in from the Ibanez world.. I am totally happy with my choice (DXMG in black, of course..) [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

There are loads of helpful people on these forums, I have immediately found them informative and pretty funny too [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Well, it arrives today. I will go home after work and put it through its paces and report back. Wish I could leave work now [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

Yep, the DK2 is nice and it even looks like SL1, if you like the this particular Soloist model.

I really like everything about DK2 except the chrome hardware, which really isn't bad but I prefer black. Seriously, there's nothing wrong with chrome but I like black more.
                The fretboard isn't ebony, but the way that Jackson selects the freboard wood (in this case rosewood) is fantastic. I have seen Jackson's rivals (ESP, Ibanez, ...) and they don't have so nice looking rosewood fretboards. Jackson RW fretboards are more red, more alive and dark, but others are so damn bright and dry looking.
                I think you will like the rosewood, even though you like ebony more.

Comment

Wow Jack - she's a beauty! I didn't know they came in those tops.

Thanks for all your kind words everyone.

Well, she arrived today. Everything is perfect on her and the trem was set up fine. I did lower the action, which again entailed tightening the screws in the back to keep the trem flush, tuned her up. Then plugged her in. It sounds great! Yessss - I am a happy camper. It has a very nice, fast neck. The rosewood also is very nice.

Since I am an incessant pickup height tweaker, I tweaked the pickups. I think in a lot of ways the Duncan Designs come quite close to the real thing. Duncan JBs in the bridge, if tweaked right have a nice cello type tone on the low strings, I was able to get that and nice rythym "chunk." I also got the neck pickup sounding scarily close to a strat neck pickup - it has a nice smooth, but woody tone. I was very surprised by this. This will be a very versatile guitar. Maybe I'll take it to our local blues jam and piss off all the strat playing purists.

I think the only thing I will change shortly are the strings. I use Ernie Ball super slinkys. Even though these are 9s, they don't feel the same. What comes on the DK2s?

Anyway, its a great bang for the buck. I will definitely be getting one in Eerie Dess in the future. I'm happy, it gives me the sound and playability I want. Can't wait to really crank it up at rehearsal. I don't know why I didn't discover Jacksons earlier - oh well, live and learn. Now I'll have to make up for lost time.

Comment

Congrate on the new purchase, you have chosen wisely!!! I have a Transparent Blue DK2 and I love it. I will eventually be swapping out the bridge PUP at some point but right now it's fine. The rosewood fretboard is nice and dark and the neck is very fast. Now if those darn DK2LE's would just come in I'd be a very happy camper.

My DK2
                    Don't forget the corn. It's nutritious, delicious, and ribbed for her pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                    X