what pickup should go in my RR3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what pickup should go in my RR3?

i have had my RR3 for a little while now and im really liking how it feels, but playing it right next to my les paul something is noticeably missing, the RR3 is bright and all but has none of that terbly bite to it. a lot of people like to cange the pickups out of this guitar as soon as possible it seems, and i understand why. so what would any of you recommend as a replacement to get a really nasty metal sound? im trying to get close to a swedish or thrashy-type sound, so im mostly only concerned with the bridge pickup. also i am looking to get it set up nice and have the floyd blocked in the way that would allow me to still be able to dive bombs. i just realized that i never really like to pull up on it, and since i messed up and adjusted the action with tension on, the posts and knife edges are a bit worn down, and it doesnt go back to zero unless i help it. what im asking is, will blocking it fix this tuning problem? im gunna do it anyway, just wondering. thanks a lot for reading this long question!

Re: what pickup should go in my RR3?

A set of Duncan Distortions would rule in that guitar. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I am going to put a DiMarzio X2N in my RX10D soon....they sound great from what I was told

Comment

How about doing a search for "What pickup should I" ? [img]graemlins/fart.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

the answer is APC
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

thanks so far guys, sorry for the stupid thread. still can anybody give me an idea whether or not the blocking of the floyd will undo the tuning troubles due to the suspected crappy knife edges/wiggly posts? i guess this should have a different title now. oh well, just delete it.
            p.s. i understand the pickup question gets asked a ton, i was just wondering if anybody knew the best one to get a swedish sound from the rhoads. x2n sounds nice...

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "swedish sound" - is that like In Flames, or...? I think they use EMG pickups.

And yes, blocking the trem would probably increase tuning stability. I've never done it myself, but I'm considering it for my Rhoads.

Comment

Originally posted by nidhogg:
                Try the Seymour Duncan Invader
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]

Comment

I tried an Invader once, and that thing has no definition at all, lots of lows, but lacked everywhere else.If you want a really nice mix of all of the sounds and sounds nasty, my favorite for that is the EMG 85 or an 89 if you nead to split it to single coil at times. Jack.

Comment

hey
                    put a dimarzio super distortion on the bridge and a dimarzio PAF pro in the neck. i just put these into my homemade rhoads and they are amazing. the super distortion has loads of gain but is not muddy it should suit you very well. the PAF pro has less gain and is like a gibson stck pickup. i think you will be very happy with the super distortion. i play alot of megadeth, children of bodom, overkill, arch enemy and stuff like that and they sound amazing. chech them out. i would also recomend a seymour duncan JB. good luck.

matt

Comment

^^^ that's the same combo I have on my dxmg, they sound great!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by nidhogg:
                        Try the Seymour Duncan Invader
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">[img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img] </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I thought the Invader was great. My thoughts on the JB were kinda... [img]graemlins/puke.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by mattdowney:
                          hey
                          put a dimarzio super distortion on the bridge and a dimarzio PAF pro in the neck.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would be a great combo. Or a Super 2 in the neck is also another great match for the Super D.
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a Dimarzio Super 3 in the bridge of my Soloist. Basically, it's a more-midrange-less-treble version of the original Super Distortion... I'm thinking that the Super 3 VS Super Distortion is like a comparison with the EMG-85 VS EMG-81, the former pickups being fatter with more mids and chopped treble, the latter pickups being more slightly more trebly. And then you have the Super 2 which might be like the EMG-60, bright and almost fated as a neck pickup for those very qualities.

Comment

Working...
                            X