Neckheavy KE3 Kelly...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neckheavy KE3 Kelly...

The Kelly model(and the Rhoads and probely other models to)is neck heavy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have the kelly model, and I wonder if there is any Jackson KE3 Kelly owners who has solwed this problem? I bought a leather strap, and it helped a lot, but the guitar is still sliding a little bit down from the position I play it with.

I am doing allright, but I think the guitar will be a lot better to play if it is 100% balanced..

Re: Neckheavy KE3 Kelly...

Try to move the location of the upper strap point. Some people will go to a hardware store and buy a slightly longer screw and attach the strap button on the plate (if it is a bolt on [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] ) or move the strap button to the back side of the guitar.

Just an idea

Comment

Strap pin mod by Newc:

Moshwitz also has a mod where he moved the rear strap pin to the rearmost upper screw hole for the trem cavity cover. I can't find the thread with his pics of it now though.

Comment

Thanks for the explaning picture Austin.

I think my Kelly will be stabile if I move the strap point to the bolt on the bolt-plate.

A guy I know is going to put a set of real Duncans in for me, I just got a pair ov invaders for half price, so maybe he could move the strap point to. Or I will do it myself but I have no tools to do it [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

Jeez, just how many neck-heavy Kelly posts are there on this board now?!? [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] Where's Charvel750 when you need him? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I usually move the rear strap button up higher on the body like the USA models then move the front to the neck plate.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i did the moshwitz mod and its still unbalanced. doesnt bother me too much really

Comment

Will moving the strap point make some difference on the guitars tone and sustain?

I think I should get a pro to do it for me..

Comment

I highly doubt by moving the strap knob placement would have any impact on sound quality or sustain dude [img]graemlins/refuse.gif[/img]

Why pay somebody to do it?? All you are doing is moving the knob. Take your time and drill a small pilot hole so you don't split the wood and you'll be fine. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

this fixed up my neck heavy kelly just fine thanks to moshwiz

Comment

front-strap-button move will improve it a lot
                      at my imports i locate it usually directly at the upper front neckplate-screw, and its fine
                      and please notice:
                      a kelly is not made for playing under the chin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      kellys are for posing [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
                      it helps a lot to balance it well, if you play it so very low that the lower front horn rests on your left femoral/thigh (and the upper back horn at least in your hips corner if not lower), while your feet standing very wide
                      (otherwise kellys tend to oscillate all the time when hitting them hard and fast)
                      try it and you´ll love it
                      andy

Comment

I had the same problem with my Kelly. I dont' know how Jackson could design such a cool guitar with such horrible balance.

I did Newc's mod and that fixed the balance. But even still the picking area sat too far to the left of where normal guitars sit. To fix that I took Newc's good advice again and moved the other strap button more towards teh top of the horn rather than the middle. This made the guitar play and sit great at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by ranalli:
                          I dont' know how Jackson could design such a cool guitar with such horrible balance.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm guessing the original (King Kelly) was better balanced due to more mass at the back. The size of the Kelly has gotten smaller and smaller over the years. The current Kelly is "Friedman sized".

Comment

I've never played a King Kelly but it's a shame. Once I got it to balance and sit right it was darn near perfect for everything. That cut in the middle allows you to wear it a little higher without looking like a tool. I could get good reach for leads then do the low-swung Hetfield type stance for rhythm...LOL.

But seriously....if they fixed that I'd buy a KE2...I just don't want to drill into that.

Comment

Originally posted by nidhogg:
                              The Kelly model(and the Rhoads and probely other models to)is neck heavy [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

I have the kelly model, and I wonder if there is any Jackson KE3 Kelly owners who has solwed this problem? I bought a leather strap, and it helped a lot, but the guitar is still sliding a little bit down from the position I play it with.

I am doing allright, but I think the guitar will be a lot better to play if it is 100% balanced..
                              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Also, when sitting with Kelly, you have a feeling that it will slip down in no time.

Kelly's are beyond gorgeous but they don't fit me.

Comment

Working...
                              X