What Jackson did they send me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Jackson did they send me?

I wrote about this in an earlier thread about thinking I was buying a Charvel Model 2 but it turns out it was a Jackson of some sort. Talking over the phone about the specs I wasnt able to nail down what this was so I figured I'd go ahead and have them ship it anyways and if it was a JS series or something I'd return it.

This sort of looks like an older DX10 only it has a HSS pickup configuration. Does that still make this a DX10? Were these made in Japan or India (I thought the X indicated India).

Here are pics:

I'd appreciate some help as I don't want to keep this thing if it's a bottom of the line Jackson. Bad enough I got something I didn't want, but especially worse if this thing is a cheap azz guitar.

It doesn't play bad, but it does feel cheap compared to my other Jacksons/Charvels. The build quality seems as cheap or cheaper than my DR-6 which is Korean made I think? Only this thing has even lamer components than the DR-6 came with stock.

I am guessing this guitar has a JT-500 (which is cheaper than the JT-580 on my other Jacksons) as well as no name pickups, no name tuners, no name trem (go figure) and not even a name on the neck plate except a 98xxxx serial number.

Re: What Jackson did they send me?

I am gonna bet it's Indian, most of the guitars with JT500s were Indian models and that is a JT500...I have no clue as to the actual model, you don't see black hardware often on the older imports..except maybe the Performers? I don't remember...

Comment

98 serial indicates it's Japanese. All Indian models start with either 1 or 0 and have 10 numbers.

That's a JT-590 trem - the sustain/spring block should say Takeuchi on it, if anything. They made the JT-590 after the Schaller deal was dropped.

Not sure what model the guitar itself is - could be a DX10D. Performers had dot inlays.

The X series is not a bad line (well, the Japanese-made ones) - they're a lot like the Pro models 9DK2, RR3, KE3, etc) just without the binding and higher-grade pickups.

Pickups are cheap enough to replace, as is hardware, but you got good wood there, so the rest is cake.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        That's a JT-590 trem - the sustain/spring block should say Takeuchi on it, if anything. They made the JT-590 after the Schaller deal was dropped.

[/ QUOTE ]

The JT-590 is a Schaller, so Im not following ya there. Do you mean they kept producing the JT-590 trems without the Schaller or Jackson logos/markings after the Schaller deal was dropped, to get rid of Schallers still in their warehouse or something?

Actually the Schaller JT-590 doesn't have a screw in bar which this one does. I still think this is a JT-500 as it looks and feels CHEAP compared to any of the Schaller JT-590's on my other Charvels or Jacksons.

I'll pull it out tomorrow to see if it says Takeuchi on the trem block, I can bet it won't though.

Comment

Eeeeew, I have a charvel fusion with one of those trems on it. I suspect the guy I bought it off kept the schaller for himself and put the crappy trem (in brand new condition) on.

Comment

I think I will be calling the place I won this from tonight and returning it. Considering after $43 for shipping this thing cost $250. They best be refunding my original $43 as they told me they would BEFORE they shipped to it me. Now see if they back up that claim when I need to use it.

Comment

This looks like a Musician's Friend special of - or what would become - the DX series. I remember seeing these in the catalogs from about that time period...
              Division - American Metal that doesn't suck. Much. Even on Facebook.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the Schaller JT-590 doesn't have a screw in bar which this one does. I still think this is a JT-500 as it looks and feels CHEAP compared to any of the Schaller JT-590's on my other Charvels or Jacksons.

I'll pull it out tomorrow to see if it says Takeuchi on the trem block, I can bet it won't though.

[/ QUOTE ]
                That appears to be a JT500 to me. And when were the JT590s Takeuchi trems? I know there were JT580LPs that were Takeuchi, not sure about the 590s as well.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hmm. looks like a dk2 body with dx10d neck. the dx10d (or dx10dfs) comes with 2x hum. only the dk2 comes with HSS (to my knowledge).
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Scouring the Ebay listings I found the exact guitar I have now being sold by GC. What is this POS?

http://cgi.ebay.com/JACKSON-DINKY-REVERS...1QQcmdZViewItem

Holy hell they have an opening bid of $295 for this POS, no case and no locking screws and plates.

Comment

The JT590 is more of a DESIGN than a MANUFACTURER MODEL. Any Jackson temolo (whether logoed as Jackson or not) is the 590. The 500 looked like an OFR.

The primary difference between the 590 and 500 are the string-lock screws. Anything that looks like the Schaller with the short stubby screws is a 590. Anything with the long skinny screws like an OFR is a 500. The 580 always looked the same - low profile, bent arms under the fine tuners, etc.
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                        The 580 always looked the same - low profile, bent arms under the fine tuners, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
                        Actually, the 580 originally wasn't low profile... it looked like an original Floyd. When it became low profile, it still had a square baseplate (I had a '94 Dinky Reverse like that... I was told that trem was actually called the JT580LP '94 and was only made that year), then they eventually rounded the edges of the baseplate.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

that DEFINETLY is the musicians friend special from about 1999

black, sharkins, japanese, reverse head and HSS

Comment

Do you remember what these cost originally? I don't want to keep it if I can't resell it to get my money back at least.

Comment

I did a search on the stickies in the Tech section and found the model on this guitar. It's a no-name JT-580 with the rounded corners. Here's the picture:

I thought it was a JT-500 as I never knew the JT-580 had a similar baseplate early on. Big difference was the length and type of bolts sticking out. These are definately the shorter and stubby bolts than an OFR or JT-500.

That sticky was very informative. I really didn't know there were as many versions of the JT-580 as there were. Check it out interesting reading and many pics.

http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...;page=0#314293

Comment

Working...
                              X