The KVX10!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The KVX10!

Ok, so I´ve got me some money...... and I would like to purchase a KVX10.

What are they like? Tell me EVERYTHING you could possibly imagine ´bout them.

Are there only Japanese ones, or are there Korean-made specimens out there also?

In short: i´d like a King V without a trem [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    B är elakare! /Mårten hagström, Meshuggah

*Charvel 475
    *Jackson JX-3 preamp

Re: The KVX10!

I have a KVX10 in Amber Sunburst, made in Japan in 2002.

It is a very nice guitar, especially for the money.
    Thin smooth neck, nice overall build quality, and it really looks awesome in that finish!

It is neck-heavy, so I had to replace one of the strap buttons to compensate for that.

I also replaced the bridge humbucker (which is the Duncan Designed Version of the Seymour Duncan Distortion) with a real Duncan Distortion.
    The Duncan Designed pickup was a little muddy in the lower register but did sound good, so I just got the real deal and now the guitar really packs a punch.

The body is very resonant when playing unplugged, sustain is plentyful!
    Sound and feel is right up there with my DKMGT.
    Lookwise... the DKMGT is solid black, so not alot to compare here.
    However, the rosewood fretboard on the DKMGT is darker and consistent in color, on the KVX10 there are brighter areas.
    Oh well, look yourself:
    http://www.angelfire.com/music5/flyi...KVX10_full.jpg

Before 2002 some of the KVX10 were made in India, so watch out for the sticker on the back of the neck.

Another thing: I now have it for one year, and the volume knob is starting to crap out, I'll have to replace the poti. But it seems like that's an issue with most of the current imports.

Hm, what else can I tell you?

Oh yes... I LOVE IT!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

EDIT: Ok, so Angelfire doesn't allow direct linking anymore...
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

The other guy in my band has one. It plays nicely, though I'm more of a Floyd Rose-player myself. That guitar is also quite neckheavy, so use a broad leather strap with it or relocate the strap button or whatever. It's not quite as comfortable as my Warrior or Dinky to play high up on the neck, but it's still very smooth and fast. Pretty light guitar, but it doesn't feel like some kind toy, I like it.
      Apart from the electronics, everything is done quite nicely. He's got his guitar half a year ago and the volume pot started cracking like 2 months ago already - quite annoying. He also replaced the bridge hum, but it was too trebly and bright sounding to his ears. Anyway he didn't like it too much.
      Things I'd change about this model are fretboard/headstock binding and a reverse headstock. Now that would rule, I'd get one in a heartbeat... maybe even without Floyd. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Here's some pics:
      http://www.shapeshifter-metal.de/Bil.../280504/02.jpg
      http://www.shapeshifter-metal.de/Bil.../280504/12.jpg

@FH:
      It never allowed direct linking in the first place, as far as I remember [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by Fifth_Horseman:
        Before 2002 some of the KVX10 were made in India, so watch out for the sticker on the back of the neck.
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Actually, ALL pre 2002 KVXs were made in India. I would only recommend the later MIJ models.

I just bought a KVX10 in February, and I ditto what FifthH said (except my pots & electronics are still fine). I got mine at cost, so I am very very happy with my King V! I too will install a Duncan Distortion (although the stock pup's output is surprisingly high), and I also have plans to ebonize the fretboard. I'm not real thrilled with the jack location, but oh well.
        Here I am onstage with mine:

Also check out the positive HC reviews if you haven't already:

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guita...King-V-01.html
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Ron:

You guys reading sheet music, or what? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

- E.
          Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            That's RJ Blaze, vocalist for Jugulur.

http://www.jugulur.com/

That was the rehearsal for Metal Jam, and he didn't have the lyrics to I Wanna Be Somebody memorized yet. I think I was looking over at him because he just showed me something on that page. So I'm probably going "WTF? I'm playin' here!" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

@FH:
              It never allowed direct linking in the first place, as far as I remember [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Then why did it work until like two weeks ago, when suddenly my avatar didn't work anymore?
              You do remember that nice amber sunburst King V body? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
              http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

We'll I got one but i'm probably gonna sell it as i'm more ofa straty type man for comfort it is enck heavy so strap button relocation is amust or a leather strap.

I'm selling it because a I like trems, adn RR's better, adn B want another superstrat ATM.

Cheers, Owain

Comment

That's strange. Those providers usually don't allow it, I've always had problems with those. Probably I'm just mixing something up, but now it doesn't matter anyway because they don't allow it anymore as well. Strange fellas. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The volume pot issue on newer Jacksons is really annoying... my DK2 has it, the other guy's KV has it, looks like everyone else here is experiencing that as well... they should do something about it, it's not exactly good for their reputation. Also a reason not to use the guitars live.

Comment

Thanks a bunch for all the input!
                    Guess I´d better get me one of these beauties then.
                    It will be my second Jackson/Charvel (I´ve got a Charvel 475 dlx since before)
                    B är elakare! /Mårten hagström, Meshuggah

*Charvel 475
                    *Jackson JX-3 preamp

Comment

Working...
                    X