Phil Collen PC3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Collen PC3

I havn't been able to find much info on these. Whats the difference between the pc3 and the pc1?

Re: Phil Collen PC3

PC3 doesn't have an OFR, or the sustainer system. They come with Duncan Designed Pickups. The maple top is a veneer I think the PC1 has an 1/8" top maybe. I have one it's a great guitar. I don't have a PC1 to compare it to, at least not yet, as far as how the neck compares in size.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

Import hardware and pickups, no sustainer. I believe some older models had Wilkinson trems, later ones had the JT580LP trem.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

No sustainer on a PC3.
        Duncan Design pickups instead of DiMarzio's.
        JT580LP instead of an OFR.
        Lower quality Mahogany body used for the PC3 and a paper thin veneer top.
        Neck is much thinner on the PC3, not even in the same ballpark as a PC1 neck.
        I own one of each and I'm slowly upgrading the parts on my PC3 to bring it a bit closer to my PC1.
        I've already swapped out the pickups with a DiMarzio Super 3 and an HS-2 and the electronics have all been upgraded to CTS pots and a Switchcraft jack and selector.
        All I need is a sustainer and an OFR and from a hardware perspective, it will be almost identicle.
        Nothing I can do about the neck as a PC1 neck is impossible to find.
        -Rick

Comment

thanks for the replies dudes

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
            Lower quality Mahogany body used for the PC3 and a paper thin veneer top.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is intersting! Where you find something like that out?

I mean say you were ordering a custom guitar from whatever manufacturer - how do you know what grade or quality of wood they are using or how to specify what you want them to use?
            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

I'm not sure I'm following you here, but I'll give some examples.
              Koa, for example, is an exotic Mahogany... a bit more dense (heavier) than normal run of the mill (no pun intended) Mahogany.
              Now both my PC1 and PC3 have plain mahogany bodies but there is a significant weight and tone difference between the two.
              Granted the veneeer on the PC3 is paper thin and has almost no effect on tone where the PC1 has a 1/8 thick quilted maple top. This tends to make it a bit brighter.
              But there are other things too look at as well.
              The wood grain pattern on the PC1 is awesome and nearly flawless.
              My PC3 has some "defects" in the wood grain. While they are minor, they are still visible.
              As for ordering, ask for samples.
              Most custom shops will allow you to pick the exact piece of wood you want them to use.
              Granted you will more than likely be making your choice based on pictures of the wood instead of actualy holding it.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X