Replacement Pickup for SLSMG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Pickup for SLSMG

I am considering buying an SLSMG very soon. I know it's a bright guitar but I don't know if it's the guitar or the stock EMG's.
    The sound I am looking for is a "balanced hard rock sound" if that makes sense.
    If I go with SD the only choice I see is Jazz@neck and Custom5@bridge. But that is going to be too classic. So I think I should go with DM.
    If I go with DiMarzio I will probably get Air Norton for neck. I am guessing I should go with a breed or a norton for bridge but not sure. I like the sound of Breed in Ibanez Jem but that's a bot-on with Floyd. So I don't know how it's going to sound like in slsmg. I have a tone zone stocked in a RG. I like it but I don't think it is appropriate here.

Anyway, any advice is wellcome. Thanx

Re: Replacement Pickup for SLSMG

You might be surprised by the HZ's. I was, I have them in my DKMG and they aren't too bright at all. They actually are darker than my mah. bodied guitar with the SD Dime in it. As far as the pup's you mentioned, I couldn't tell you. Good Luck!

Comment

How about a DiMarzio PAF Pro? I have one in the bridge position of my mahogany Hamer Californian, and it sounds awesome.
      sigpic

Comment

I just ordered some SD's for mine - a 59 neck and a Custom 5 bridge. I've got to tell you, those HZ's are not all that bad despite what allot of other folks have said and the guitar is very balanced sounding - i.e. not too bright or dark. My SD's should be here by Friday so I'll post back and let you know how they sound. I stuck a JB in there the other day just to see what the difference would be and it was cool but I just don't care for JB's. If I was into metal though I would not hesitate to put and EMG 81/85 set in this thing. My band has a classic rock sound so I like the Duncans for that. I might gravitat towards the EMG's later on though. You gotta have at least one axe with EMG's and this one is perfect for them. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Consider the EMG 85 and 81 [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

I have the 81/85 in mine and am just trying to find a damn replacement 3-way short enough so I can play it [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That pickup combo was a no-brainer for me with this guitar. The stock HZ's were too "mellow" for me...

Comment

thanx for the info.
              as far as SD custom5 goes, it is probably the best duncan pu imho. I have it in the bridge of an old cheap ibanez talman( maple neck bolt-on alder body). It sounds awesome. It's perfect for zeppelin kind of sound. It's clear and open. Low end is very tight. But I am getting the SLSMG to get a different sound. I like the sound of DiMarzio Breed in the JEM. It sounds similar to custom5 but it has a creamy tone in the high end (try the Vai sound clip of breed in DM site). Anyway, I am very interseted to know how the custom 5 sounds like in an SLSMG. SLSMG sounds pretty bright acoustically and custom5 is a little on the bright side, too. So if it turns out the combo is bright I will go with the Breed.
              let's see,

Comment

Originally posted by withmyshadow:
                I am considering buying an SLSMG very soon. I know it's a bright guitar but I don't know if it's the guitar or the stock EMG's.
                The sound I am looking for is a "balanced hard rock sound" if that makes sense.
                If I go with SD the only choice I see is Jazz@neck and Custom5@bridge. But that is going to be too classic. So I think I should go with DM.
                If I go with DiMarzio I will probably get Air Norton for neck. I am guessing I should go with a breed or a norton for bridge but not sure. I like the sound of Breed in Ibanez Jem but that's a bot-on with Floyd. So I don't know how it's going to sound like in slsmg. I have a tone zone stocked in a RG. I like it but I don't think it is appropriate here.

Anyway, any advice is wellcome. Thanx
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">... can I have your old ones [hz's] when you gut her ? please ! lol //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by kremit:
                  I have the 81/85 in mine and am just trying to find a damn replacement 3-way short enough so I can play it [img]graemlins/images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That pickup combo was a no-brainer for me with this guitar. The stock HZ's were too "mellow" for me...
                  <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">what did you do with your hz,s ? //Steve

Comment

I may be interested in selling my HZ's. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you think they are worth. -Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                      I may be interested in selling my HZ's. Shoot me a PM and let me know what you think they are worth. -Frank
                      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks man ! but I just lost a couple of days of work due to back problems I had last week so I am tapped right now again , as usual [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] //Steve

Comment

Sorry man, I know how the back thing goes. I have two herniated disks in my lower back and a twisted vertebra. Too many years of riding Harleys with ape-hangers in NY, hehe. Hope you feel better bud.

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                          Sorry man, I know how the back thing goes. I have two herniated disks in my lower back and a twisted vertebra. Too many years of riding Harleys with ape-hangers in NY, hehe. Hope you feel better bud.
                          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">thanks man ! no it was just some joint pain or something but it was like a electric shock feeling and very painful . anyway thanks for the get well , God Bless ! //Steve

Comment

I think the HZ's got a bad name because people compared them to the old select series & they are not even close to the HZ line.In my opinion away..... [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

The Select series were made in Korea, but they really weren't that bad. I used a pair of them for years in one of my Dinkies... they were a little bassy sounding, but I just turned up the treble on my amp a little and got a real good sound out of them. They could have used a little more gain, though. The guitar now has a real EMG 85/60 set and does sound better, though! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                              X