Just ordered an SLSMG Flametop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just ordered an SLSMG Flametop

I have read every thread here on the subject, thanks. So, are you guys that have these things still happy with them after having them for a while?

P.S. I am planning on switching out the pickups to EMG 85/81 right off the bat.

Re: Just ordered an SLSMG Flametop

SLSMG has landed [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

First thing I noticed is how freakin nice of a guitar this is. Wow! The EMG-HZ's aren't half bad either. Time to go play for a while. I'll post some pics later. Peace.

Comment

Changing strings...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Enjoy! [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
        If you're thinking about changing pickups, which pickups would you go for? Wonder if there's room for a battery if its active pups...

Comment

The ebony looks a touch grainy but still...that's an awesome guitar.....one of the best bangs for the buck IMO!!

Comment

The Ebony is smooth, it's the flash - it makes everything look wierd plus, I suck at taking pictures.

I was thinking of putting either EMG's (85/89) or Duncans - maybe a Custom or Custom 5 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates or '59 in the neck. I was also thinking of installing the JE-1500 preamp that I have in this puppy. The stock HZ3's aren't too bad and I bet they would wake right up with the pre-amp. I am also thinking of a 5-way switch with coil tapping in the middle positions.

Anyway, the guitar is sweet and sustains forever. It's got a chunkier neck than I thought it would have, way bigger/fatter, almost Gibson like compared to my USA Fusion and a little fatter and wider than my DK and wider than my 375D.

The quality of the build and wood and finish is as good as anything you will see on the USA models and, pickups aside, the basic sound and feel of the guitar is awesome.

The only thing I can say bad about this is the same thing I said about my other new Japanese Jackson (DK-2) - the pots and switches and hardware they are using on these models SUCK!!! Cheap cheap cheap! Did I say cheap? My DK-2's volume pot crapped out the second day I had it and this one is doing the same thing. It's not a big thing for me because I replace that stuff with CTS or EMG anyway but you would think for $800 you could get some decent components. Not crazy about the tuners or the bridge either - all cheap-o, lightwieght stuff. They really need to either re-think these parts or re-think the price. I will probably swap the tuners for Sperzels and the bridge for a Tone-Pros Which will add another $120 or so but I CAN'T STAND cheap parts, it makes the whole guitar feel cheap to me. HELLO JACKSON, CAN YOU HEAR ME??

Stay tuned, I feel some modifications coming on....

Comment

Actually, I just looked at the specs for the USA models SLATQH and KV2T and they both use the same bridge as the SLSMG - "JT390 Adjustable Bridge with Strings-Through-Body". Cool [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Comment

Awesome Frank, I'm glad you wont have to go through what I went through with my SLSMG from MF. I see you dont care for the bridge either. I felt the same way.

Comment

Actually ummm....

I am returning this guitar to MF. After thinking about it, why should I have to eat the price of new pots and the time it takes to replace them? I did it in the last one I bought figuring I would give them (Jackson) the benefit of the doubt but two new guitars with the same exact problem? Not gonna happen. They need to get a grip on thier QC or something but either way this one's going back. Too bad too because I really like it but for this amount of money I don't think I should have to put more into it just to be able to use it. And yes, it is that bad. Bummer [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

I suggest ebay. I'm not a big ebay-er, but I just bought a really nice U.S.A. 02' DK-1 in transparent black (with a case unlike MF) for $665, not too shabby. Its my first USA (still waiting for my usa sls from kevin). I tell ya there must be a differance in the hardware i.e. pots, cuase the pots on my DK-1 are flawless. This thing is just sweet. I was going to order this same exact guitar, same color everything from Easton for double what I got it for on ebay. I still had to put a little work in it though. The neck had a bad bow (3 whole turns to straighten it), and I cleaned and oiled the neck. Now its a dream guitar. Or check out Easton Guitars. I seen that Kevin had an SLSMG in Violin Brown for $799 with a case I believe. This is the guitar I got from MF without a case for $949 that I had all the problems with. I swear MF just gets the reject guitars. Good Luck Frank

Comment

Well after talking to MF and my local Fender shop I decided to bite the bullet and just go ahead and replace the pots. I like the guitar and even though it burned my butt a little in the end I got a great axe and got a pretty good deal to boot - MF knocked a couple of bucks off the price which made me happy. So all is well in Frankencat land. It's been a long day. Gonna go play for a while and then hit the hay. Peace.

Comment

I've had some pretty decent problems with my brand new DK2 I got. It wasn't from Musicians Friend though, it was frome Guitar Express, with a case and for 5 bucks less than what musicians friend was willing to sell it for without a case. First thing I noticed is that the truss rod was out of wack, which is usual during shipping but it was way out. The intonation was also way out, were talking not even close. Even after setting the truss rod correctly. Also, one of the allen screws on the locking nut was stripped at the head so my wrench couldn't turn it. Had to cut some down from where I work to put in it. Also had to get a .005 brass shim from work cuz the nut was just a tad too low and it would buzz on open strings. The neck was also not sitting in the pocket correctly so I had to take it off and re-set it. The strings had giant kinks in them so no matter how high I made the action it wouldn't quit buzzing. Took me a while to find that one. The neck and middle single coil pickup were too high so I would always get a warbling sound when playing them so I had to lower them. The Lisenced Floyd is a pain. The position it comes to after bombing and the position after pulling are 2 seperate places. I took the trem off and checked the knife edges which were fine but the posts it pivots on had grooves in them. Smoothed all that down and it still does it. Got a trem stabilizer on the way to take care of that. Fine tuning on the D and G are a pain in the butt. It takes the incredible hulk to turn the fine tuners. Now after saying all that, after fixing everything, it is a great guitar. Luckily I had everything at work to fix and replace stuff with so it didn't cost me anything. It was just a little aggrevating having to put that much time into repairing a new guitar. But now, this is the 2nd best playing guitar I have, right behind my Carvin. I don't know if this is an import Jackson thing or if it's a guitar express thing. If I would have paid the Musicians friend price for it, it would have been sent back but since It was a good price and an uncostly fix, I decided to keep it. It's a great guitar. I will definately buy a Jackson again, just not online anymore. From now on I'll go to a store so I can make sure it's alright before I buy.

Comment

Straight away I put a tone pro's bridge in. Makes a huge difference I have them in all my guitars.

I also replaced the HZ's with a PAF Pro and Tone Zone both in reversed zebra colour. It looks awesome and sounds sooooo much better. I also put in a multipole 5 way switch for the multisound thingy.

The problem with the HZ pickups is they have no life to them, just sound flat and bland.

As far as i can tell the pots and tuners are the same as used in my USA jacksons. Correct me if I am wrong tho...

Congrats on the purchase, does your fretboard have a horrible squeaky feel to it? Mine was nasty and polished, but after a few good weeks it got a little rougher and my fingers stopped making it squeak. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Originally posted by frankencat:
                            Changing strings...

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This creme binding fits nicely the red finish. Great guitar IMO!

Comment

Hey Jeremy, did the Tone-Pro's bridge fit right on there or did you have to replace the bushings? I am also thinking of going with zebra colored pickups - probably a Duncan '59/Pearly Gates setup. Can you post a pic or two of how it looks? Thanks.

P.S. I HOPE the pots on the USA models are not the same as the ones we took out of this guitar and the DK. That would really suck IMHO. I thought the USA stuff had CTS pots and switches. -Frank

Comment

Working...
                              X