new guy...SL-3 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new guy...SL-3 questions

Hi guys. I picked up my new SL-3 about 3 months ago and just recently found out about this site. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Anyway, I was just curious what is it that makes the SL-1 sound so much better? I was @ guitar center picking up some strings and spotted a used SL-1 on the wall and decided to take it for a test drive. I was really surprised at how much better it sounded and how much louder it was. I realize it's a little better quality but it's the same kind of wood minus the fretboard and it has the same bridge pu. Is it the floyd that makes the difference? Don't get me wrong, I love my SL-3. I think it sounds great and I got an incredible deal on it so I'm not complaining. I'd like to hear your opinions on it.

Re: new guy...SL-3 questions

Yes, the SL-3 is a very good guitar, but the SL-1s and 2s are a little better made and also the real floyds help. i had an SL-4 for a short time and it was alright, but once I played an SL2H I just had to have one, they just rip [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by sworn_enemy:
      I was really surprised at how much better it sounded and how much louder it was.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Part of it could be where and the amp you used. Take your SL3 up there and play 'em side by side. They are probably closer in sound than you think. Better yet, buy the SL1 and take it home and test the same place same amp theory [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, guitars always sound better in the shop. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Don't forget that individual guitars, even of the same type, are going to sound a lot different.

Also, I think the USA shop is probably pickier in choosing pieces of maple and alder that will sound the best in a guitar, since they charge more and don't have to crank as many guitars out as the Japanese shop does.

I would guess that the rosewood board and different trem alone would actually contribute to a significant sound difference between the SL1 and SL3. But yeah, you really have to try them on the exact same amplifier to know for sure.

Comment

Well let me be the first to say welcome. Since nobody else was going to do it. [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
            You can learn alot here.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys and thanks for the welcome. I definitely will learn a lot here. I spent almost 2 hours browsing through the archives last night and I can see you guys really know your shit.

I did try an SL-3 after the SL-1 on the same amp but it wasn't mine so I guess it could have been a bad one. I kinda wish I didn't play damn thing because now I can't get it out of my mind!

-Tom

Comment

Working...
              X