Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DXMG vs Kelly KE-3: help to choose

Hi,
    I am planning to buy a guitar. I am trying to choose between DXMG and Kelly KE-3. I cannot make a final decision, so I would appreciate any help and advice you can give me on either of these guitars. Thanks.

Re: DXMG vs Kelly KE-3: help to choose

2 totally different shapes.....which shape you like better? Can you try both of them out locally and see which one "feels" and sounds better or are you ordering online?

Comment

The bolt on Kellys upper fret access is somewhat difficult, of course, that is only an issue for the last 2 or 3 frets. So if you dont use them much then that shouldnt be an issue.

I prefer the sound of the EMG HZs compared to the DuncanDesigned found on the KE3.

My vote is for the DXMG. Of course you only have the option of black finish on DXMG.
      KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
      I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
        2 totally different shapes.....which shape you like better? Can you try both of them out locally and see which one "feels" and sounds better or are you ordering online?

[/ QUOTE ]

I will order on-line. I am trying to find local stores that have these types of guitar, but I could not find anyone so far.

I probably prefer Kelly, but, again, I have not chosen yet...

Comment

DXMG's also come in gun metal grey, and there's still a road hazard yellow one with black binding over at guitarxpress.com.
          My YouTube Videos | My SoundCloud Page

Comment

i'd recommend the dxmg. from what i've seen and heard, the ke3 suffers from serious neck dive and doesn't have a tone knob, plus you have to get a bigger and more expensive case. the neck profile and balance on the dxmg is superb. best import superstrat i ever played.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I don't care for the Kelly shape, but if buying used is an option, you should keep your eyes open for a mid `90s Kelly Pro XL (neck-thru) or XLR (reverse bolt-on), which are very nice imports and superior to the KE-3.

Does the KE-3 still come with the Detonator pickups? They're the only Duncan Designed pickups worth having in my limited experience.
              sigpic

Comment

I have ordered DXMG. Thanks everyone.

Comment

good choice. you won't regret it.

in response to inazone - all the "pro" series shown on the jackson site come with duncan designed pickups. the ke3 and wrxt come with dd-"detonator" humbuckers.
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I love my DXMG and my KE-3 and my Kelly XL, but yeah the Kelly XL is superior to the KE-3 and I play my DXMG more than both of them combined.

Comment

Working...
                    X