Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of my Warrior MG with new pups and midboost!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of my Warrior MG with new pups and midboost!

Well, the Warrior mutt I got from Jimosity (Warrior MG body with reverse headstock Performer PS4 neck) recently got DiMarzios installed... an X2N in the bridge and a Super 2 in the neck. I also bought a Chandler Tone-X midboost wah system and had that installed. Thanks to WarriorX7 for installing everything for me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The guitar's controls are volume, tone, midboost. The midboost is basically the guts of a wah pedal on a push/pull pot. You pull up on the pot to engage the boost, turn the pot to sweep through from high to low just like a wah pedal, or you can leave it in a stationary position anywhere along the sweep. Great for Slayer solos from Reign In Blood where they used a wah pedal set in the middle! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I think I need one of these for every guitar I own. When the knob is pushed down, it's bypassed and doesn't affect my tone at all.
    I've tuned it down to D, and this guitar plays and sounds awesome. And Jim had an Original Floyd on it so, of course, it doesn't go out of tune! The Super 2 has got to be the best sounding neck pup I've ever heard; it's the same power as a Super Distortion, just it's voiced more in the treble range... excellent for a neck pup without being dark or muddy at all. The X2N I'm also a big fan of and used for years in my old Kramer that I retired, so I decided to use it instead of having it collect dust. This guitar has so much power, it's just sick!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I may eventually put a different neck on it, as I'd prefer to have binding and sharkfins or pirhana inlays, but it plays incredible anyway. Here's the pics from when Jim had it. I'll have to get a new camera and take better pics soon. http://jimosity.tzo.com/Gear/Guitars...rrior/main.htm
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Re: Review of my Warrior MG with new pups and midboost!

Awesome!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] About damned time you gave us a review. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by toejam:
    I'll have to get a new camera and take better pics soon.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You ALWAYS say that. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I presume Santa didn't bring you a camera two months ago. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] We were all hoping... it sounds like you have some really cool guitars that nobody has seen in detail. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, no new camera for me like I'd hoped. [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Eventually I'll get off my ass and buy one. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The guitar was sitting around for a couple weeks because I was debating on what pups to put in it and what to do with the extra hole where the Turbo Booster originally was. I got a DiMarzio PAF Pro from Charveljunkie that I thought I was going to use, but I decided to scratch that idea and I'll probably eventually put it in something else with my old Duncan '59 that's laying around.
      I was going to get one of the EMG circuits but decided to try the Tone-X and got it from MF. I had the X2N laying around and figured I'd use that, and I read the Super 2 had a lot of power and was a good match for it and had always wanted to get one, so I got that from http://www.mikes-music-shop.com/ Mike's great to talk to, has great prices, and you can order direct from him just about any Duncan, EMG or DiMarzio pup you want if you don't see it on his ebay store.
      Then I had to wait for Ken to get it wired up for me, since I've never done any of my own wiring. Not that it would be that big a deal, but there's a five-way switch in the guitar and I wanted some cool coil splitting options for position 2 and 4, and I figured I'd probably screw something up, especially with the board on the midboost and the battery connector wires and all that! [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

POst a clip of you playing some Death clips! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
        "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by toejam:
          Well, the Warrior mutt I got from Jimosity (Warrior MG body with reverse headstock Performer PS4 neck) recently got DiMarzios installed... an X2N in the bridge and a Super 2 in the neck. I also bought a Chandler Tone-X midboost wah system and had that installed. Thanks to WarriorX7 for installing everything for me! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The guitar's controls are volume, tone, midboost. The midboost is basically the guts of a wah pedal on a push/pull pot. You pull up on the pot to engage the boost, turn the pot to sweep through from high to low just like a wah pedal, or you can leave it in a stationary position anywhere along the sweep. Great for Slayer solos from Reign In Blood where they used a wah pedal set in the middle! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] I think I need one of these for every guitar I own. When the knob is pushed down, it's bypassed and doesn't affect my tone at all.
          I've tuned it down to D, and this guitar plays and sounds awesome. And Jim had an Original Floyd on it so, of course, it doesn't go out of tune! The Super 2 has got to be the best sounding neck pup I've ever heard; it's the same power as a Super Distortion, just it's voiced more in the treble range... excellent for a neck pup without being dark or muddy at all. The X2N I'm also a big fan of and used for years in my old Kramer that I retired, so I decided to use it instead of having it collect dust. This guitar has so much power, it's just sick!!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I may eventually put a different neck on it, as I'd prefer to have binding and sharkfins or pirhana inlays, but it plays incredible anyway. Here's the pics from when Jim had it. I'll have to get a new camera and take better pics soon. http://jimosity.tzo.com/Gear/Guitars...rrior/main.htm
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">cool shit man ! looks killer . do you have the emg hz's still ? I need some . //Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Steve:
            cool shit man ! looks killer . do you have the emg hz's still ? I need some . //Steve
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">No, I don't have them... never did. I got the guitar from Jim with the pickups and turbo booster removed. I'm not sure if he took them out himself or if someone had the guitar before him and did or not. Check with him and see.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
              POst a clip of you playing some Death clips! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I don't have any recording equipment, so I can't. But I'll tell you that Pull The Plug and Symbolic are two Death songs I've played that sound killer on this guitar!!! [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

Why

Comment

don't

Comment

you

Comment

Pull The Plug!

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
                        Pull The Plug!
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">lol //Steve

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                          X