Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just something I'm pondering....24 fret RR idea.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just something I'm pondering....24 fret RR idea.

Is it possible to stick a DK2 neck on a RR Performer or RR3 body? What all would I have to mod on the body to make this work?
    Thanks
    Outlaw
    [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Re: Just something I\'m pondering....24 fret RR idea.

Originally posted by Outlaw:
    What all would I have to mod on the body to make this work?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You'd have to rout the neckpocket out deeper or it would never intonate.

Comment

Thus going into the neck pickup pocket right or is there enough wood there to still keep the neck pickup's original pocket?

Comment

Nope, unfortunately you'd have to sacrifice the neck pickup.

Here's a thread on such a project guitar by Budman:
        http://www.jcfonline.com/cgi-bin/ult...=001456#000000

'bane

Comment

That's a mighty fine axe [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

I was kinda hoping to keep the neck pickup still [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

[ February 19, 2004, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Outlaw ]

Comment

I suppose it would be possible, but you'd have to plug the old pickup route and make a new one, closer to the bridge pickup. In any case, you're looking at a lot of work for adapting the RR3 for the 24-fret neck...and why risk ruining a perfectly good guitar, eh? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

Good point. Maybe it's just best to wait for the import (or this possible US made one I've been hearing about) and just slap a Floyd Rose and DK2 neck on it,probably be a whole lot easier in the long run [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Comment

You might be able to get by with part of the pup route obstructed but still be able to put a single coil or stacked humbucker in there, but I'm not totally sure.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

*nods*

A single-coil sized pickup might work. Never thought of that. I only think pickup = full size humbucker. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

'bane

Comment

I'd just expand the neck pickup's route as it'd be covered by the pickup ring and the fretboard.
                    It's an import - hack it to death to make it do what you want.

Newc
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                      hack it to death to make it do what you want.

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Is that what's on the sign hanging in your laboratory, Newc? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yup [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

shit, that worked on the 8 bit nintendo cartridges...why not gutiar parts?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                            I'd just expand the neck pickup's route as it'd be covered by the pickup ring and the fretboard.
                            It's an import - hack it to death to make it do what you want.

Newc
                            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This seems like the better idea,I just might do that. I have in the works a deal for 2 Jap Performers,one I'm willing to do this to but the other I may leave stockish,depends on how the one turns out.
                            It's just finding a DK2 or equivalent (24 frets,sharkfins,bindings,bolt on,cheap enough[that rules out warmoth and such companies] neck for this venture).
                            Anyways this is all in the dream stages though,I've yet to get the 2 axes and funding could be used else where right now (like a better amp [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ).

Comment

Working...
                            X