Hmmm...what to equip my dk2 with...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hmmm...what to equip my dk2 with...

My new dk2 in trans amber(for some reason the color reminds me of the old sunset graphic) needs some pups - and I'm thinking of putting an emg SA / SA / 81 set in it. I have played on a SA / SA / 85 set, and it didn't have quite the bite I was looking for...

so whatta' ya' think? good or bad choice? I play exploding metal, by the way [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]

Re: Hmmm...what to equip my dk2 with...

Could work very well. Are there any passive pups you like?

Comment

well, I've never actually played a guitar with good nice passives before...I've played a les paul classic before(gibson), and the pickups were pretty f'ckin paint peeling. I wonder what kind of duncan humbucker would do that?

Also, emgs generally come with new pots, new wiring, and all kinds of premium stuff. I don't know if duncan goes that far with their product - or if it makes that big of a difference anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Wes:
        I play exploding metal, by the way [img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Care to explain what "exploding metal" might be? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

If you're looking for a Gibsonesque Seymour Duncan pickup combination, try a Custom in the bridge and a '59 in the neck. Both, I think, are based on the old Gibson PAF designs, but I could be wrong...

Comment

Hmmm...the SL3 has a pretty nice H-S-S configuration...that might work - though I don't know what it would sound like...

My metal sound would be closest linked to Iron Maiden/Queensryche/Megadeth, by the way.

Comment

That's the same pickup configuration as the Fender Iron Maiden Strat, except the bridge pickup on the Fender is a JB Jr. rather than a full-sized JB.

Janick Gers has JB Jrs in his bridge and Dave Murray has Hot Rails in the middle and neck positions. I believe Dave Mustaine has the JB in his bridge. I don't think you can go wrong with this combo.

Comment

I do [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Personally, I hate the JB as a bridge pickup - go with either a Custom or Distortion in the bridge (if you're going Duncan). The Custom may seem a tad dark, though - not as dark as a neck pickup, but maybe like a middle pickup (just without the Fenderish 'quack').

The JB Jr sounds a lot better IMO than the full-size JB, and I can't understand why or how [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

I've got a Distortion in my DK-2's bridge position, and it screams.

Newc
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Distortion is good. I have one in both my DK-1 and Dean Z

The JB sounds great in my 87 Kramer, although it's a maple body so...

I have a Dimarzio Super D that sucked on the Dean but kills on my MAH LP copy.

Jackson J90C on my Model 2 sounds good.

My fav passives right now are the EMG-HZ in my DXMG think bite and edge of the Distortion, with the tight, controled bottom end similar to EMG actives.

I'm a big fan of these..

I'd go for the HZ or a Distortion for the DK2 if you want passives.

Comment

Does anyone know if the stuff besides the pickups themselves is that much better on the soloists than the dk2's? I mean like the pots and wires.

My main reason for posing that question is that if I go for passives, I might not get all that stuff to upgrade with like EMG does.

Not that I'm against duncans, in fact...I'm leaning towards them now. I just remember that about 3 years ago I owned a LP copy that I put 2 Screamin' Demons into myself. I basically just replaced the pickups themselves, no other electronics. And the sound was....well.............shit.

Of course, the Duncan TB4 might sound 1000 times better....
                  .....sorry if I'm rambling....

Comment

MAYBE you'll want to upgrade your electronics to better quality pots and wires, but I think they should have a certain resistance value. I'm not too sure about this though... perhaps you'd want to ask about that in the Tech Q&A forum. But definitely EMGs need a whole different set of electronics that I believe are low impedence.

Comment

I also like the bridge pickup in the LP Classics, they sizzle with authority but also have nice low end. Gibson puts the 500T pickup of their own design in there. I would reccomend you try that one if you like it, they sell them separately if you want to buy it!! I may try one in my Jackson SL2H, the JB lacks a little bit of Sizzle, like it neads more windings or something [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I don`t care to much for the ENG 81, it lacks bottome end, but I just love and adore the EMG 85, it has a crushing sound, but only gives up a little on the top end to the 81. Jack.

Comment

i just put one of those SH-13 Dimebuckers in the bridge of my DK2S.so far im into it.i couldnt believe the diference it made after playing with those stock pickups [img]graemlins/evilimages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

I've got the Dimebucker in a Schecter. I really like it. Pretty clear, but ut does kind of scoop the mids a bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X