Got a DXMG...But....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got a DXMG...But....

Ok, so I finally got one. Had to get it imported from America, which was fine. I went to pick it up today...got it home and everything looks in order. It is a great looking guitar, I really like the look of it. Now onto the but...

The ends of the frets are Sharp. So when I play I get scrapes on my hand. It isn't razor sharp...but you can definitely feel it, and it shows on your hand.

Now guys, what do you think I should do? Is there anything I can do? How about sanding it down a bit? There isn't many guitar shops near where I live...and those that do have a guitar tech that comes in every 2 weeks. What I'm really wondering is if I can fix this problem myself.

As you can imagine, this is a real pain (mentally and physically [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] ) Any advice?

Re: Got a DXMG...But....

Sharp fret ends on a DXMG? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    I would have supposed that a guitar in the DXMG price range would at least be in somewhat playable condition when it leaves the factory, well I guess not. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Luckily, you can easily fix it yourself. Check out Projectguitar.com,
    there's a lot of info & tutorials in guitar making & finishing, you should propably find info how to make those fret ends smooth, fast & easy.

I still can't believe that a DXMG has been so poorly finished at the factory. [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img]

Comment

Wow!That's a cacodaemon!!I did not see one from years! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for that. Done a bit of the filing on bottom frets. So far it's getting better. It is a disapointment, but there's always that element of risk when getting something mail order.

Wee review for you:

I haven't played it to any great length...but from what I have I can tell that everything except from the frets is good. Floyd keeps in tune well from whammy abuse. The sound is Good...Hz's I'm not sure about...I'll have to play more, but it's early days. My intention was to change to better pickups (81 in bridge [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] ), but they really aren't that bad. This is my first jackson by the way. I was thinking buy an import to see if I like them then go get a USA, at least then I won't get any unexpected surprises (i'd hope not).

Comment

Hey all! Im new here.This is very similar to my dxmg. The edges are not as sharp as jackson3 desribed but they are a far cry from my dk2.They are consistant in shape all the way down the neck on both sides of the fretboard.Mine was playable out of the box, but it also hadn't been across the atlantic in the cargo hold of an airplane.Jackson3 once you get the frets okay your going to be impressed by the dxmg. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

weird I have seen that on the made in india ones but not Japan ones , it isn't that hard to fix and tech probably wouldn't charge ya anything 5 /10 bucks to do it , easy job you can do it yourself it ya got the tools , thats one of the 1st I have ever heard of from Japan usally they do real good work . //Steve

Comment

As some of the others have said.. it's pretty easy to remedy.

My DXMG has no problems in that area, nor my DK2.. all nicely dressed.

I did have a similar problem on an Indian made DX10D, however.

I assume you are talking about a MIJ DXMG.

If the fret ends are THAT bad (sharp enough to scrape), perhaps you should return it.

Comment

You got the Black Metal version by mistake; it calls for a blood sacrifice!
                [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

That is definitely an anomaly; my DK-2s are both nicely dressed fretwise. If you already started fixing it, fine, but if you ever need warranty work I wouldn't mention that you worked on it yourself.
                You may have voided your warranty by doing that.
                Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Yeah I have started working on it. It is much better. I am not used to the jumbo frets also...they just seem a bit in the way.

As for warranty there is none as I got it off a private seller, it was used but was assured it was mint. And it is mint except for the sharp frets problem...which is just about fixed.

2Loud2Old, I was under the impression it was MIJ. The fact it has a JT580 trem and not the JT500 that would mean it was a later production...so therefore MIJ?

Comment

Hmm, thats odd, I recently picked up a DXMG for a backup and its pretty much perfect. I don't think I've ever played a guitar with sharp fret ends before, is this type of thing common?

Comment

From what I've read it isn't common - though it can be on cheaper guitars. Though my first guitar was a Squier strat and cost me £119, and the frets on that are perfect. So it must just be a thing that can happen on cheaper guitars. I say cheaper as in cheaper than a USA.

Comment

Well heres an update for anyone who cares.

After filing down the ends of the frets, i was able to play the guitar fine...but the neck felt weird. I couldn't understand it...the frets were just far too in the way, so off I went to the local guitar shop. They said the frets just looked too big lol, werent much help to be honest.

So i played the dxmg for around a month and then after that the whole guitar seemed to be going out of tune randomly. This, coupled with the fact of the frets annoying me I just decided to get rid of it. I now know the guitar was made in Korea. Looking back at this, the quality was horrible on this guitar and if i had played it in a shop I would most certainly have not bought it. It is ashame, as this has kind of put me off Jackson guitars...but I do know it is better to try a Japanese made import as they are supposed to be of a much higher quality. Still, for what I paid for the DXMG i still think sharp frets from the factory are ridiculous.

Comment

What? I've never heard DXMGs were made in Korea, I thought they were all Japanese since 2002. Is that new, Fender?

Comment

I bought it new in 2003 (check post date), and then i knew there was either Japanese or Korean DXMG's, I didnt think there would be a difference in quality...how wrong was i

Comment

Hmmm, I doubt it was made in Korea. All 2002+ DXMGs were MIJ, as agresivo said. Don't be spreadin' no urban legend, newb! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X