Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DKMGT vs. DK-6 COW ?

hi there

so as i already stated in other threads, i'm still in the market for a quality strat-shaped guitar. don't you think it's interesting that like 80% of the guitars nowadays have a floyd rose or another floating tremolo?!?! i've been searching through ebay as well as a few online shops, and most guitars there are floyd loaded.

having that said, i'm looking for those features
    -2 humbuckers
    -NO DOT INLAYS
    -fixed bridge
    -24 frets
    -normal shape, so no rhoads, V, warrior, bc rich etc

basically, i've narrowed it down to those few guitars (prices are for new guitars)
    -jackson DKMGT (650 euro)
    -jackson DK-6 COW (550 euro)
    -jackson SLSMG (999 euro)
    -esp ltd viper 1000 (999 euro)/ 400 (650 euro)
    -esp ltd h 1000 (950 euro)
    -schecter c1 hellraiser (although this one is pretty much out of question due to the CRAPPY european schecter distributor)

i don't like the fact that the ESP guitars are just the lower end ltd series, but lets face it, the "real" esp one's are just too damn expensive. actually, the slsmg as well as all the esp guitars except for the viper 400 are too expensive for me right now (although i could get quite a deal on the esp stuff due to my band mate's endorsement...i haven't asked yet, but the viper 1000 for example should not cost more than 400-500 euro MAX)

out of all those, the dinkys are the most reasonably priced ones, and of course, they're JACKSONS [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
    regarding the COW...well, i'm not sure if i could live with only one humbucker. i spend most of my time on the bridge, of course, and on my charvel model 3 i don't use anything else actually, but i like the neck sound for a few lead parts....so well...but then again it's 100 euro cheaper, AND has a real emg 81 instead of the emg hz stuff. i like the archtop, too.

so, to finally get to my actual question:
    which of those guitars do you guys think is the highest quality one? i want something that has a GREAT sound, and is reliable. it also must play fast, i.e. the high fret access has to be very good.

any thoughts/ideas/opinions??

Re: DKMGT vs. DK-6 COW ?

I would get the Cow, those are awesome.

Comment

Yesterday I tried a DK7 at the store, quality on these is indeed superb. Unplugged they sound very good. I'm not a fan of EMGs, but that's my taste. One can always sell them for a good price on ebay.
      I wanted a 6-string and surely will buy one in the future but that might take a while due to some recent issues.

I do have a DKMGT and I think the Cow is the better guitar... and for the price it can't be beat with the features. Did I mention it looks awesome? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

The SLSMG IMO is overpriced, it doesn't even have active EMGs. I played two of them in the local store, they do play VERY nice, but didn't sound as good as the COW (just more wood on that one, I guess).

I'm not a fan of LTDs at all, all I tried felt cheap and uninspiring - I don't like the neck shape either.
      Also I have heard that the abalone binding on the LTD Deluxe models can fall off.

And we have discussed the Schecter thing before.

So: One more vote for the COW.
      http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

thanks for the input.
        well, as i already said, while the viper is a kickass looking guitar, i'm leaning towards the COW. it beats the DKMGT regarding looks price and quality of the features (PUs, hardware etc), no question. the only thing that turns me off is the lack of a neck humbucker, or at least a tone pot

Comment

While installing a neck pickup would require routing, you could go with a concentric pot and get both volume and tone on one (stacked) knob. That way you don't have to put a drill to your spankin' new guitar (at least in theory).

Comment

get the dkmgt. tried one last month <drool>. carved top on superstrat body, trans red finish, piranha inlays, reverse headstock.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

i got a good deal on a DKMGT ....arrived on saturday ...did a quickie mini switch on the neck humbucker..down right great sounding guitar easy to play etc....wish i would have got one sooner
              “But does it help with the blues rock chatter?"-Hellbat

Comment

Working...
              X