Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelly XLR Professional

Hi!

I am thinking about buying a used Kelly XLR, but I could use some facts about this great axe. What can you tell me about the Kelly XLR, had they all reversed headstocks?When was it made? What kind of pickups and tremolo do they have? Since it is a professional I believe that it is made in Japan. I would be grateful for some more information!

Thanx
    /Nicklun

Re: Kelly XLR Professional

Any Jackson that says Professional on it is made in Japan. I had a black Kelly XLR. The R stands for reverse... reverse headstock, reverse sharkfin inlays. A regular XL model has just the normal headstock and inlays. It has the JT580LP trem system, and the pickups were a USA J50N for the neck and an import JH-2 for the bridge. Made in either '95 or '96... I forget exactly.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thank you very much!

Comment

I have either a Kelly XL or KE3 and it has normal headstock, reverse inlays, Duncan Designed pickups (102's) and black hardware.

I bought it in late '96 or early '97, it is Japanese made with a bolt on neck with 'Professional' written on the headstock, no neck plate and serial number on a sticker behind the headstock.

See photos (if they don't come out go to Artists and their gear and check out Lycanthia)

Comment

The JH-2 jackson pickup is a killer pickup for sure.Very much like a duncan JB not as bright very mellow.Matched up with a J50n they sound great.I'm fixing to drop the hammer on a kelly XLR it needs a little work but will be worth the time and effort.I was a little put off about it because of the no neck plate issue but after learning here that this is how they made them its cool with me.This one has the JT 580 trem and is dark metallic red,with bound neck and headstock. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

If you go to the thread 'is my Jackson original' (import Jackson section), there is a bit of discussion about the Jacksons made without neckplates which includes many good Japanese Kellys.

s

Comment

Originally posted by stephenslr:
              I have either a Kelly XL or KE3 and it has normal headstock, reverse inlays, Duncan Designed pickups (102's) and black hardware.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Yours appears to be some form of KE3 and not an XL. The XL & XLR models have cream binding on the neck and headstock, and Jackson pups. The XL has the standard headstock had standard inlays, the XLR had the reverse headstock with the reverse inlays.

Comment

Originally posted by nicklun:
                Thank you very much!
                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You're welcome. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

In the above photos his kelly has the reversed sharkies and a standard headstock what gives? [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Some KE3s had the sharkfins standard or reversed. I don't know why, though.

Comment

Stephen, are you in the same stance the whole gig? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

He's a cardboard cutout... of course he doesn't move. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have the same wicked guitar as Stephen... I personally LOVE the regular headstock with reversed inlays! I thought it was semi-unique and obviously that made ME feel semi-special. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Thanks for the info Toejam I always wondered which model I did have, I've always thought that companies should give out a certificate or owners manual describing the particular model purchased with specs.

RacerX, Yes I am in the same stance the whole gig -lol.

But seriously it is a favourite stance of mine, (I guess it balances out the weird shape and weight distribution of the Kelly), unless there are feedback wedges where you can place your foot on for tricky guitar work.
                          I previously played with an Ibanez Destroyer II similar to Explorer shape and I feel comfortable playing them this way.

I suppose the photographer also happened to snap me in this stance both times.

If you notice Giv's King V Std. is a leftie. He converted what was previously a right hander, it now has a reverse headstock with Jackson written upside down - dot inlays.

Comment

Stephen, try putting your guitar strap OVER the long body wing of the Kelly shape. Nobody will notice it since both your strap and guitar are black, and it's usually dim on stage anyways. It sort of "holds" the guitar to yourself, making it more stable and definitely a LOT easier to play.

Comment

>try putting your guitar strap OVER the long body wing of the Kelly shape.

the Kelly balances nicely I don't think there is a need to but I may just try that to see how it goes.

The Kelly is an improvement in handling over my Ibanez Destroyer II (Explorer copy) which is larger and heavier I assume.

s

Comment

Working...
                              X