embarrassing question regarding 3 pup guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• embarrassing question regarding 3 pup guitars

this is a little emarrassing but i just bought my first 3 pickup guitar and when i play solo runs my pick constantly is hitting the middle pickup.the embarrassing part is that ive been playing for,well,many,many years and ive never heard anybody else ever complain about this.i have this same problem with every 3 pickup guitar ive ever played.it doesnt slow me down but its kinda annoying.is it just sloppy technique?if so,im not gonna change up now [img]graemlins/nono.gif[/img] how does one really dig in to the strings when that middle pickup is sittin right there?if i lower the middle pickup ill have to lower the other 2 to keep the pickups output balanced and that would kinda suck.or i could just lower the middle pickup and not use it i guess.if anyone else has this problem speak up!!dont be scared or too proud!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] thanks for reading my post guys

Re: embarrassing question regarding 3 pup guitars

You'll get used to it, lower it a little, or you can pull an Yngwie and just screw the middle SC down all the way.
    I also had problems with that when I first got my DK2, it's nothing to be embarrassed of. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comment

Yeah, the middle pup sometimes got in my way, too. I got rid of my Model 6 mostly because of that, but it wasn't too hard to get used to. I'll finally have another H/S/S project done soon, so hopefully it'll be a little better. Plus, it will have a hotter pickup in the middle than the neck, so I'll probably be able to lower it some and not really worry about it. I don't remember having that problem when I had my Yamaha RG copy that was H/S/H, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got the same problem...I have to lower the middle pickup way down to keep my pick from nailing it. I'm too stubborn to change my picking technique at this point. I've got a Model 4 where I totally removed the middle pickup and put a single coil cover plate in its place.
        "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

That was one of the reasons I got rid of my PC1. The pickup wouldn't go down far enough to get out of my way! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Comment

not much help here, but i read in a Petrucci interview that ibanez had sent him several guitars, but he didnt like them because the middle pickup got in his way so he ordered a custom one with 2 humbuckers, so yea like i said not much help here

Comment

I guess thats where I'm differant than most> I've never had a problem with the middle pup being in my way or the Floyd Rose going sharp from my hand pressure after I made an adjustment to my playing position. I rest the heal of my hand at the saddle point of the bridge and whith the way I hold the pick I end up with a picking area some where in the vacinity of the space between the bridge and middle pup. With only occasionally being over the middle or neck pups.
              I gives me a unique tone and technique.
              And even allows for the occasional full chord pinch harmonic.
              Gil

Comment

I had the same problem with my Fender Strat,so i pulled a malmsteen and lowered the middle pickup down as far as possible. I never used it any way. If you never use it then just lower it. [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
                93 USA Soloist EDS
                USA HT6 Juggernaut
                Charvel DK24FR

Comment

Wow, you guys really dig in there, dontcha.

I'm a really "light" player, I choke up on the pick untill there's only a 1/16th or so to hit the strings with ( I almost touch the string with my thumb).

Helps me be smooth and tight. (Not that I'm smooth OR tight) [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

As a result I've never had an issue with hitting the pups.. or turning down the vol by accident.. mainly because I tuck my fingers into my palm and don't swing wildly at the strings.

I tend to play very tight to the strings, no strong movements.

Picture almost a fist, with my pinkie knuckle resting on the bridge, as a pivot point, that way my pick never travels more than 1/2 inch above or below the strings.

I suppose its wierd, but it works for me

Comment

yeah i also dont like the middle pu. i always kept hitting it, so much so that the plastic around it was wearing out...I play completely opposite to 2loud, i like to leave a shitload of space between my thumb and the strings, just my playing style, so yeah, middle pu's are a problem for me as well.
                    cheers

Comment

I had a similar problem on my Ibanez, so I lowered it down about even with the body. It still sounded fine after I did that.

Comment

I screw the middle pickup down as far as it will go. I never seem to have a need for it anyway, since it doesn't sound all that different to the neck pickup.
                        Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Ever since i replaced my bridge hum in my ps-2, the middle pup hasnt worked anyways. but i never use it or the neck pup anyways. And yeah i hit it alot too. It never bothered me before. But now that were talking about it, it will.

This thread has given me the strength and determination to get off my lazy ass, grab that screwdriver and screw that sonuva ***** down to maximum depth.

Im gonna go do that right now!!!!!! [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

so i get home from work,turn on computer,click on JCF and see that i have 12 replys so i reached for the flame suit and to my surprise IM NOT ALONE!! this is too funny.thanks for the feedback guys.yea,i think im gonna screw that middle pickup all the way down.it totally sucks hitting that pickup dont it?when your playing without an amp you hear that little clicking sound with every note.NOT COOL! PEACE

Comment

Hey don't feel too bad. When I first started playing guitar, I just about wore the corner off my middle pickup before I got around to lowering it.
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                              X