dk2s/floyd tuning question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dk2s/floyd tuning question

hello,i just bought a dk2s from GC and it was set up for .9s.my question is:can i drop tune this guitar from standard tuning to down a half step
    D#,G#,C#,F#,A#,D# without having to do a new set-up?i tried it and i dont know if its my imagination but it doesnt seem right.i think it needed to be tweaked just alittle before i even tried it.if it was out to begin with,i wonder if dropping the tuning will make it worst?and i dont know if after dropping the tuning you should wait a while because of the change in the tension on the neck.anyway,thanks for reading my first post here on this message board.

Re: dk2s/floyd tuning question

Any time you change tunings on a Floyd, you'll need to adjust the springs. When dropping the tuning, the trem will sink into the cavity. You'd need to tigthen the spring claw screws (turning clockwise) to counteract the tension and make the trem level again. When going back to the original tuning, you'll need to do the opposite. I've gone back and forth on my guitars with Floyds in E, Eb and D using 10-46 strings and have never had a problem. Though, when in D, I usually like to add an extra spring or two for heavier tension on the Floyd. For Floyd setup tips, check here. http://www.eastonguitars.com/WWW/Pag...loyd_setup.htm
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hey welcome aboard, & yes if you start changing the tuning you will need to adjust the screws to the Floyd. If you change gauge from say a 9 to an 11 you might want to have the neck adjusted also.
      to be safe. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
      According To The Prophecy

Comment

hey Drake and toejam thanks for the info.i just did some research and ive been reading exactly what you guys are telling me.i guess ill have to decide on which tuning i want this guitar to be set at and stick to that and use another guitar for a different tuning.its not over my head to adjust the springs,seems easy enough,just not worth the trouble as i play in different tunings like everyone else here probably does.thanks again guys!!

Comment

No problem! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

[img]graemlins/band.gif[/img]
            This is exactly why I own 5 guitars! I have one main one in drop-c, one as a drop-c backup (in case of broken string, etc etc. during gigs), a main standard tuned axe, and its backup. Then an Ovation electric/acoustic............just because! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
            The setup is not too hard to learn how to do at all, once you have done it once or twice; piece of cake! Now intonation on the other hand...I know how to do it, but it's a real pain in the ass! If your guitar was originally set up as a 440-tuned guitar and you are dropping down as far as C, then you may want to check the intonation, too. Different gauge strings and lower tunings can affect that too.

Comment

Working...
            X