hey guys, I have a question about this Dinky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey guys, I have a question about this Dinky

i saw this Dinky on Sunday at a guitar shop. and I need help identifying it.

from what I gather, here are the specs.

Reversed Headstock
    All maple neck (1 piece I think)
    Maple Fretboard.
    Offset black-dot inlays.
    24 fretneck.
    no idea what kidn of frets...jumbo perhaps.
    this is a "Professional" series
    the old Jackson Floyd
    the jackson neck pup with pole pieces,
    the Jackson Bridge pup, with rails
    a Volume pot, and a tone.
    A three way selector.

What gets me is the body. It was called the "Graphite". It was a textured finish, and pretty bulltproof. I have no idea what kind of wood was in it.

Now, I ask you, for your take on this guitar, and if you know anything about it.

And would you recommend this over an 80's carvin, an all-maple body and set-neck, with maple neck and ebony fretboard, with a hum-single-single, with the vol. and tone. pots with three on and off switches for the pickups?
    the carvin is less worn. the jackson has fretboard wear, and the trussrod cover was missing.

so any advice is appreciated guys. both guitars are very affordable, the Jackson in the $200 range and the Carvin as $375.

thanks guys.

Re: hey guys, I have a question about this Dinky

I believe the Jackson is a mid 90's Dinky Reverse. If you can afford the Carvin and you like the way it feels and plays, I would say take the Carvin. Compared to that particular Jackson, the Carvin is a better made guitar in my opinion. But it's totaly up to you to decide.
    Good Luck! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

hey thanks for replying man...yeah I think your right, but that finish really gets me. Plus I really love jacksons and want a nice 80's axe (my dream guitars, 80's jacksons of the shred-era), but yeah the carvin was really nice too. I'll see what I can do about it... any other opinions?

Comment

it should be a jackson dinky reverse like this here

if it has the "old" but original floyd rose, than i would go for this axe. it is a metal axe the bridge HB is really screaming and aggressive! i like this axe.

Comment

Reverse headstocks are cool, and RH Jacksons are the coolest! Get the Jackson now; you can always get a Carvin later.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Well, I guess you're always going to have the die-hards. I meant no disrespect to Jackson but if you try out both guitars, I think you'll agree.
            Good luck in any event [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Dave->
            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I'd personally go with the Carvin. It's a DC135, by the way. USA Carvin for that money is a good deal. Not that the Professional (Japanese) Jackson isn't a good deal. Go with whatever looks and plays better to you. Though, the Carvin will probably heavier, and brighter sounding, due to its maple body.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

sorry guys, read bottom

Comment

hye thanks guys. hey, joe Web, that jackson in the link was it, the one next to the black one.

And yeah, I was kinda unsure of the model Carvin. i really love the thought of the jackson, yet the "used" factor gets to me. I've owned an old Charvel Model 6 though, and loved it.

so any more thoughts? what can you tell me about the sustain and sound?

plus yeah, the carvin Was heavy. It had a rounded shape though, like an Ibanez Artist, with a Flying V carvin headstock.

I want an 80's rock-type tone, that would have a lot of chunk to it. Would the jackson be a better fit? I have a strat, but don't like the thinness, or the brightness. so I dunno whether or not I;d love the sound of the carvin. I hope to check these out again. But any moire thoughts?

Comment

i casn´t say anything about the carvin, because i never played one.
                    i personally owned a dinky reverse (the black one in the link) and it was a great metal axe with a fast neck and a very good FR trem. the sound is really aggressiv. i sold mine years ago, and bought another DR-5 a few weeks ago! i never found a guitar with that feel and tone of the dinky rev. you can see mine here in this thread.

Comment

I've got one of those Dinky Reverse necks on a DK2 HRF, and it's wiiiiiiiide. I know it's only 1 11/16", but it must be the locking nut string spacing that makes it seem almost like a Classical.
                      Still, it's a nice neck [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I'll chime in for the Carvin.

The Jackson DR is a nice axe

But... I never met a Carvin I didn't like.

Some of them don't look that great, but they play like butta. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

hey guys, thanks a Lot for all the input.

With all this thinking, I figured I don't really wnt much of a beater guitar.

I'ma see and try my hand at obtaining this Custom Shop Rhoads I saw in a store. pretty expensive for a clean 80's custom. they ask for $1500.

I'n gonna have to think about it. Any opinions?

Comment

Well, could you describe it better? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Pics would be great! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

Actually, you should start another thread about the Custom Shop Rhoads in Jackson USA forum. [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img]

Comment

Working...
                              X