Snakeskin Mustaine Pro :D

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakeskin Mustaine Pro :D

Ok, since I'm almost done with it, I figured I'd post pics of my latest monstrosity - a Snakeskin Dave Mustaine King V Pro [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Front

Back

All I got left is to do the edges and give it a bath (all-around coating of sealer) and then cut out the hardware holes [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    This one took me a while because I wanted to think about each step before doing it, then changing my mind later (like I did with the Zebra Star).
    I had originally planned to do a Zebra V and the Star in Snake, but didn't like the way the pattern lined up for the Star, and didn't have enough Zebra left over to do the V. I was going to redo it in Winter/Urban Camo, but didn't have enough of that left over after the first go-round to redo it. Plus, that Camo fabric was really thick, and since I wanted to cover the neck as well, it woulda left a thick, sharp edge next to the binding, which is a bad thing [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sadly I didn't take the in-progress pics like I shoulda (for a tutorial at ProjectGuitar) but if anyone wants me to do one for them.... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    It took me about 2 months to get this far with it from re-start to right now (plus I didn't work on it every day, plus I had to wait on the stopbar/tunamatic, etc), so you figure 6-8 weeks total start to finish if I had not converted it from the 3310, and since I know more what I'm doing and how to do it, another one would probably take 4-6 weeks.

Newc
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Re: Snakeskin Mustaine Pro

I'd leave it like that. It looks like the "V" snake is shedding it's skin [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Dave->
    Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

i wanna see pics when it's done...d.m.
      http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Devane.ASP

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/Torquestra.ASP

Comment

I've got $5 that the snake wins [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Seriously, cool lookin axe [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drool2.gif[/img]

I can't wait to see the end result [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

LOL Sam [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Good luck, Newc! [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

so what are ya gonna do to it newc clear coat it ? and how thick is the fabric , won't it be kinda weird to play ? fill me in I am lost [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] thanks //Steve

Comment

Hi Newc, man that looks awesomme!!!! Please post final pics. Bro I love snakeskin guitars and I have an original Kramer Snakeskin and it is the bomb,http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&...7785605&page=1
              Bro where did you get the material from?? Please let us know as I would like to build myself one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Kammo1 [img]graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Comment

Oh man - now we gotta get used to not confusing Kamo with Kammo1 [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]

Seriously, though, thanks [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                I got the fabric at WalMart [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Steve - I'll substitute the same glue used to hold the fabric down as clearcoat - it dries totally clear and sands very smooth, though I might leave it a tad rough to simulate snakeskin. The fabric's cotton, so it's way thin. The Winter Camo I had planned to use was very thick, like the outer shell of a jacket, and it looked good but when I trimmed it away from the neck is when it became a problem - it woulda been in the way, and as thick as it was and as stiff as it got once it was cleared, it would cut into my hand when playing. I tried to sand it smooth on the edges but it wouldn't do right, so I went with the thinner snakeskin fabric [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

cool stuff man , post some pics soon , how long do you think it's gonna take to finish ? //Steve

Comment

I finished the edges the other day when I was off, and had to patch a coupla very small slits where the knife went off the line, but all I got left to do is the wingtips and two places on the head, as well as the neck heel sides and then I can put on the final all-over coat, then put the hardware on [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
                    Should be done this weekend (when I'm off) [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Ok, finally, here it is:

Front of the body:

Back:

The Tuneomatic implant came out pretty good, but I had to swap the inserts for some others I had laying around. The original inserts I had wouldn't go down far enough because they had a small lip around the top, and I needed a 9/16" bit to flush them with the surface, and of course I ain't got said bit [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                      Anyhoo, the new inserts don't have the lip, so they went a bit deeper than the others, but I still need to sink them farther down because they seem slightly taller than the others [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]
                      Anyhoo, the action's a tad high. Liveable, but the tuna's all the way down and I still got clearance. Once I sink them down a little more I can start at fretting out at work my way up to where the action should be [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The Stopbar came out slightly crooked as well, but I can live with it. I'll hang onto the 3310, though, just in case I run into problems in the future and need to swap it back in a pinch.

I've got the whole surface covered - it even goes right along the binding on the neck and head (some overlap, but it's nothing to mention). I've also got a coupla patches on the edges as I said before, but I tried to blend them and think I did a good job on doing so [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

It's not glassy smooth, but it does feel a bit like snakeskin [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

Way cool!

What about the logo/headstock area?

Comment

I didn't touch the front of the head - no way I'd cover the name [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Newc

Comment

[img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Dave->
                            Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by Newc:
                              I didn't touch the front of the head - no way I'd cover the name [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Good call, let's see more pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X