SLSMG ebony board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SLSMG ebony board?

I have a 2002 model SLSMG and it appears to have an ebony board. However, for the longest time Jackson's site always said it was rosewood. Now they've changed it saying that it is ebony.

Was there a change in the production or has the SLSMG always had ebony?

Re: SLSMG ebony board?

I did a side-by-side comparrison w/ my Yairi (which has an ebony board) and then w/ my seagull which has rosewood. The SLS has darker and more dense wood than both aforementioned guitars. Guess it's ebony [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

Comment

I checked my 2002 catalog: the SLSMG is featured on the cover, and the board sure looks like ebony. However in the specs inside it is listed as bound rosewood. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

As Anders noted, the 2003 catalog states it is ebony.

BTW I played an SLSMG at work tonight: dang it is light!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Good question. I always thought it was just dark rosewood. [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] The new catalog seems to say it's ebony. Is the grain on yours very smooth with no sign of pores? Then it's ebony.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I noticed that the new Jackson catalog said it has an ebony board too... i always thought it was rosewood... Guess they changed it for this year or something! [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img]

/Anders
          https://www.facebook.com/cutupofficial

Comment

How much have you guys seen this model selling for by you? I saw this model for the first time at GC 2 mos ago and thought wow nice but, the $899 price tag (w/o case) threw me off a bit. For that price I'd rather get a less than a year old USA with real Seymour Duncans and a case. Guitar's weight was REALLY light though.
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFn-5BTQ8uU

Comment

Yeah, it being an import at that price just kills it, especially when you can get a brand new USA for only a few hundred more, or find some used USA for around the same.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

My 2002 ebony

Comment

I think Jackson is having a hard time finding the right niche for the neck-thru imports. If you compare them to Japanese ESP or Ibanez prices, they ARE competitive, but most of the imports that are readily available through the large retailers are Korean. So you've got a Japanese RR5 or SLSMG with a $900 price tag. For the player who is comparing to a Schecter or LTD, the price is a little out of reach, and for a Jackson USA owner, it seems better to just spend a few extra bucks on a Select Series or check the used USA market.

When I was shopping for some new effects, the GC sales weasel insisted that I try an SLSMG. Very light and comfortable, and sweet looking too, but I can't justify $900 for an import. Then again, if you are talking about brand-new axes, that's still at least $300-400 below a new USA Soloist.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ibanez Jem. I rest my case for the price on the SLSMG. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The boards are ebony. Always have been.

"Why buy an import when a USA is only a few hundred more?"
                    I'll tell you why. Because it's a FEW HUNDRED MORE. The only reason to buy a USA in the first place is if you have an attachment to binding and ebony. Besides that, the Japanese neckthrus have a different feel to them. I prefer USA Rhoads, but Japanese Soloists. YMMV

Comment

Working...
                    X