Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Jack Butler" Guitar -- Model 3??

Hey gang,

I'm trying to decode Charvel's '80s import model designations with moderate success. Here's what I'm trying to figure out:

Did Steve Vai's "Jack Butler" guitar from the movie Crossroads exist as a Charvel import model?

The axe is a dual-humbucker, pickgardless red Charvel, pointy headstock/no logo, with a 22-fret maple board and a Floyd. For a picture, consider:

So here's the skinny: The Model 3A has two 'buckers ... but most seem to have pickguards. I've read debate on another thread regarding the combination of the 3/Dual Humbucker, maple board, and Floyd (some folks indicate that it was available only with a Khaler).

So ... to reiterate: Is there any Charvel out there that came stock with two 'buckers, no pickguard, a Floyd, and a maple board?

Many thanks in advance.

--jr
    「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Re: The "Jack Butler" Guitar -- Model 3??

I'm guessing that Steve is answering what he recorded "Crossroads" with... From a movie point of view it would make sense that a guitar player representing the Devil would most definitely have a Red guitar. (hence the two red ones in the movie)

The model 3A is similar, two Humbuckers, and some came with the JT-6, the only missing detail would be the maple fretboard. So to answer your question, no. However, import Charvel necks with maple fretboards are quite a common occurance on EBay, as is Model 3As.

[ September 22, 2003, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: TEKKY ]
    Occupy JCF

Comment

as are Model 3As

[img]graemlins/poke.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

OH GOD here it comes
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just add a maple neck.

Comment

Actually that guitar was a san dimas and if I recall correctly it did in fact have a logo. I think it was taped over in the movie.
            Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX:
              as are Model 3As

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, I should have said that they're as common as a Ron post that adds 0 value...

Better???
              Occupy JCF

Comment

Re: The &quot;Jack Butler&quot; Guitar -- Model 3??

Right ... I figured Vai's was a custom. However, the question remains: Is there a Charvel import "Model" series that resembles this axe?

--jr
                「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Ugh. I'm sorry. I'm completely stupid. This was supposed to be put in the "Import Charvel Guitars" topic, not "Import Jackson Guitars."

I haven't been right since my WR-1 order got cancelled. Sumimasen.

--jr
                  「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

No answer on if there's a good "Model" series that's close to this setup, but consider this:

From vai.com -

Hey Steve, I'm big fan of yours. What was your rig in Flexable? Did u use a Carvin amp like those seen in the 'crossroads'? When did u start using the JEM's?
                    - Martin Philip Bengson

S - "For Crossroads I was using a Carvin X-100B amp along with a Charvel guitar
                    that turned into my Green meanie guitar.

------------------------
                    Then on his site under "the machines" you see the real "Green Meanie" guitar that's obviously a different configuration and it's description is this:

The "Green Meanie" is actually a Charvel Strat-style guitar loaned to Steve by Grover Jackson (of Jackson Guitars) when Steve joined Alcatrazz. Originally a sunburst finish, Steve stripped it and painted it day-glo green, and it has eventually become covered in various stickers, etc. This guitar was used on "Disturbing The Peace" and for virtually everything on "Eat 'Em & Smile". It has since been retired and is safely locked away.
                    -----------------------------------

Who knows for sure...

Comment

Thanks, all!

So ... I'll have to scrounge for a red Model 3 and snag a Model 1 maple neck, then fit the neck with a locknut, eh? Sweet.

Thanks for all the replies. Most helpful!

--jr
                      「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Originally posted by TEKKY:
                        </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RacerX:
                        as are Model 3As

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Sorry, I should have said that they're as common as a Ron post that adds 0 value...

Better???
                        </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Better! [img]graemlins/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The locknut shouldn't be much of an issue. The JT-6 nuts, while a bit awkward looking, work very well.
                          Occupy JCF

Comment

Thanks, Tekky. I've seen a few pics of folks who have added the locknut on the peghead behind the maple board neck's original plastic nut. I imagine that should work quite well.

So the real challenge will be finding a Model 3 body with the JT-6 Jackson/Floyd routing ...
                            「久しぶりに絶望してえよ。マジで。」

Comment

Last edited by texasfury; 03-10-2015, 03:39 PM.
                              Just a guitar player...

Comment

Working...
                              X