PS-4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS-4

I heard that someone is selling Jackson PS-4 around here and I wish to get some opinions about it.

I got Charvel Mod 3, which I love, so do you think I should buy PS-4? If you compare these two axes, do you think I will get something Mod 3 hasn't? (Except two more frets...) Price is about 250 USD, color is DMG and it's looking GREAT! Anyway H-S-H-pickups is quite a strange combination...

Re: PS-4

I never managed to play a PS-4, but I did get to play a bunch of other Performers (PS2/T, PS3/T, PS7... something else I can't remember). I would much prefer a Performer over a Model series, but only because I can't stand full sized Strat bodies. Performers aren't quite up to the quality of the Model series, IMO, but are some damn fine players, especially for $250. If you like it, go for it. $250 is a good deal on a solid guitar.

Comment

Yes, you will definitely get a different feel on the PS-4. I love the model series guitars but in my opinion, the model series and performers are a totaly differnt guitars. The neck is thinner and wider(not that it's better, just different) and trem is recessed so that makes it feel a lot different. Also, it's nice to have a full size humbucker in the neck position sometimes. I love them both equally, and would not say one is better than the other, exept that the quality of the model series is better. If you like it, like BM said, go for it.
      Dave->
      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

I have a Model 1A, and a PS-4. Right out of the gate, they are very different guitars. I love 'em both, but for different reasons.

My PS-4 has the middle pickup removed and an EMG 81/85 combination. The neck is very comfortable for me and the tone seems great. I traded an ADA B200 amp for mine.

Comment

I owned one. It's the first Jackson I ever owned that I hated. The neck warped so often it almost got to the point to where I had to fart with the truss on an almost weekly basis. The wood wasn't very good (or it wasn't drilled right) since the screw for the strap peg stripped out the wood, and I only removed it once to add in strap locks. I had to epoxy the screw in to get it to hold afterwards.

The center P'up is a nuissance, and like the other person said, removing it is a good idea.

The trem seems to be a softer metal than any Jackson trem I've owned before. The bottom trem post wasn't set right, as it would pop out every time I'd block the trem, or do anything at all with it short of changing strings. It was the most unstable one I've ever had, too.

The PS-4 is the only Jackson I owned that I viewed as high maintenance to the point to where it's not worth it. It's neck is nice and thin, but overall I just had too many problems with it to really enjoy it. I did buy it used though, so I am sure it's a factor that shouldn't be discounted.

Comment

Working...
          X