Anyone have SL3 side body pics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone have SL3 side body pics?

That question may not make sense. Anyway does anyone have a picture of the side of the body on a SL3 in natural or transparent finishes? I'm interested in seeing how it looks where the maple veneer meets the body when the edges are not finished darker to cover that area from sight.

THanks

Re: Anyone have SL3 side body pics?

hyas dude. As it happens, I just bought this exact guitar. Natural flame top, alder sides, and the straight thru rock maple neck.

I have to say how damn impressed I am with the SL-3. The workmanship is so good, that the top flame veneer actually blends naturally in the wood age rings on the side edges.

Sorry I can`t show this to you in a screenshot. Hopefully someone will post it. From the sides it is almost impossible to tell there is a veneer top actually. The wood color matches perfectly.

High at the neck you can almost not tell the neck piece for the headstock is an addon. The cut was actually matched with a headstock wood piece that matches the age rings. Amazing workmanship. The Japanese builders are really showing their stuff with this guitar.

I made a side by side comparison with an almost identicle American made Jackson, and this guitar kicked the USA made Jackson in the azz for build quality (I liked how this one played/sounded as well). And that guitar was 1000 more than this Japanese version.

Comment

Originally posted by Shataan:
      the top flame veneer actually blends naturally in the wood age rings on the side edges.
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Thanks for the info, that's exactly what I was looking for. I would like to check one out myself but none of the local shops have them.

Comment

I have had to add something here, sadly. When I tried this guitar in the Store.... it was thru a practice amp. All seemed well physically, and all it seemingly needed was a good setup/intonation done.
        Did this. After I got it home, and plugged into my 1990 Mrk III Simul-Class, I noticed that the G string all the way up the fretboard didn`t seem to hold notes/sustain for very long. As well, the whole fretboard above the 12th all the way on up to the 24th seemed quite dead. Notes would not sustain for long.
        For some odd reason when playing any edge heavy overdriven sounds on a single note, you can easily hear the note actually wavering between 2 semi tones. This was not so bad in clean, but on the Boogie OR my Pod, it sounds pretty bad. Terrible actually.

I find it hard to believe. The guitar physically is beautiful. The neck is amazing, and tweaking the neck relief is smooth and quiet.

I am wondering if the problem is fret related. Maybe a bad fretjob from the factory? Anyways, I have returned it, sadly... and am waiting for the Sales Dude to talk with the Jackson Rep about sending an exact replacement. Hopefully we can get a replacement to see how IT plays and sounds incomparison. If it rocks, coolness for everyone involved. If it is the same problem, I get my dough back and they lose a sale.

I hope if they do agree to send a replacement, that the problem is with the SL-3 I have. Damn it all to hell, I love the guitar and an exact replacement would be amazing. The feel all around is... ME. If however they don`t go for sending a replacement or they do and it has the same problem, I guess I will keep searching. Maybe buy a reissue Strat, and mod it for now. Anyways, wish me luck. ;p

Comment

what year(s) SL3 you guys got ? mine has a transparent blue flamed top...but the sides, and back..and back of the neck is black ! ???

Comment

it is brand new dude. Just bought this a week or so ago.

Comment

Just realized you returned it.. Ignore this.

One cause for wavering notes can be a pickup too close to the strings.

Double check you setup, intonation string height ect... Then send it to an experienced tech.

[ October 08, 2003, 04:43 AM: Message edited by: 2Loud2Old ]

Comment

yup checking it as we speak. thx

Comment

It won't be noticable where the top meets the body, Jackson's flame tops are rediculously small. This isn't really a good thing though, my brother has a Carvin with a flame top and its about an inch thick, the result is a much deeper and better looking top. It really blows the flame top on my Jackson out of the water.

Comment

The flame tops on most Jacksons are lame-ass 'Look at me!" veneers. They're not there for tone, just for looks. That said, the flame tops on the SL3's meld with the back quite nicely. I'll take some pics of my PC3 tomorrow and I'll be sure to get a shot of the side since they're vey similar in construction.

I actually prefer import Soloists as well. They feel better to me than the US counterparts. I like the feel of the JT580 better, the neck/body joint is smoother to my hands, and the neck has a *slightly* different profile I think. If you don't need binding and ebony you can't find a better guitar.

That doesn't mean I'd take a KVX10 over a KV2T though. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

it`s FIXED!!!!!! Apparently the problem is/was with the 3 springs of the Floyd. It was acting as a sort of spring reverb, and the sound of the notes and the vibrating tones off the springs were not being friendly with each other. So, some deft usage of foam between the springs and body seem to have nipped this problem. Thank the gods. I really wasn`t looking forward to giving up this guitar.

I as well soddered the neck Hotrail in parallel. This has made a really sweet difference instead of both mid and neck Hotrails running in series. Sounds more like a single coil in the neck position now. What a great day today was. *sigh*

Comment

"I am wondering if the problem is fret related. Maybe a bad fretjob from the factory? Anyways, I have returned it, sadly..."

The problem, which you seem to have fixed, sounded like it could have been a setup issue. Sounded like the truss was a little too lose and the trem sitting a little too low. This can produce the same thing you're talking about.

I generally tend to take as much of the neck bow out as I can, then bring the action down low. With clean, I get the most minimal string buzz that's consistent, and it doesn't affect sustain or tone, for playing brutal death at least.

Then again, I don't think I've ever held a note for more than a few beats, let alone a whole measure. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                        The 2nd Amendment: America's Original Homeland Defense.

Comment

ridiculously
                          loose

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

thx for the replies all. When I 1st recieved the guitar, I DID make sure the neck relief was pretty flat= almost no bowing forward. Too straight did cause some buzzing, but I got it jussst right, and only a small almost unnoticeable buzz remains on the low E on the G 3rd fret. No biggy.
                            The Floyd tho sits low into the body IMHO. The backplate top almost flush with the top of the body surface. My tech/friend says that straight thrus are like this. At any rate, it does seem to be fixed.

I went looking thru the SL-3 specs again, and this guitar is a blonde flametop, maple straight thru neck, with ASH sides. The specs state the sides are supposed to be alder. And I know it sounds odd, but I just assumed they were alder. Duh? Duh. lol I was trying out a ton of reissue strats yesterday and noticed the ash looked familiar. hehheh Yup, ash sides on this SL-3, NOT alder. Go figure.

Comment

Working...
                            X