Warm and fat.... a pickup's story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warm and fat.... a pickup's story

Hey knowledgable Jackson-guru's, I recently posted a reply, and submitted that I would like to swap out my EMG HZ's from my SLSMG, and replace them with some SD's.

I was thinking 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge. I play hard rock/metal, but I want a warm, tight sound that has singing highs. I dont need a totally saturated "modern" metal sound, the likes of Petrucci's amount of distortion is about what I normally shoot for.

Taking into account the construction/material the SLSMG is made of, do any of you have a better/alternative suggestion for some new pups for my japanese gem? I dont hate the EMG's, but they dont really seem to convey the "tone" of the guitar too much, they seem slightly inorganic,and lack dynamics.

Thanks
    Troy
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Re: Warm and fat.... a pickup\'s story

I have a JB in my slsmg and it absolutely screams, maybe a little too much, but that could be the added flametop aswell, and then theres the difference of your amp rig. I like it that way though, you can clean it up by lowering it a bit, but I love pushing my pickups sky high [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
    I also have a full shred in the neck (soon to be jazz) and its brilliant in it. Such a great sounding guitar! Also checkout the custom's as they might shape the sound even further, depending. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks Bibz. I'm definitely leaning toward the JB atm, after doing more research. Neck-wise, still up in the air on that one.
      www.myspace.com/madeaband
      www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

How about a custom/jazz set?

Comment

A DiMarzio PAF Pro would sound great in either position. A lot of people use them in the neck position, but I have one in the bridge slot of a mahogany Hamer Californian and it sounds amazing.
          sigpic

Comment

I wouldn't exactly call the JB a warm pickup at all. In fact, to me it's way to bright and shrill. The Custom/Custom is one of my new favorite pickups. It has a huge mid spike and is very war due to the A2 magnet. However, I might not say it has the tightest low end, more EVH than Petrucci. The ceramic Custom is definitely tighter than the Custom/Custom, but nowhere near as warm. The Distortion is another on of my favorites. It has more low mids and a very tight low end with harmonics galore. When I think warm and fat, I think of an A2 magnet. Ceramic is tight and aggressive. The Alnico 5 magnet in the likes of the 59, Custom-5 and most DiMarzio pickups are a little more boomy and scooped. Very versatile pickups, but perhaps not exactly what you're looking for as well.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              How about a custom/jazz set?

[/ QUOTE ]

+1. Got that combo in my Jackson Dinky mutt and I love it so much it's one of two guitars makin' the trip with me to the desert.
              My future band shall be known as "One Samich Short Of A Picnic"!

Comment

Working...
              X