Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to electrics, DXMG?

Hey dudes

I'm a poor bastard and I've been playing metal on a crappy acoustic guitar for 2 years. I recently got a 30w amp from a friend of mine and now I've pretty much saved up enough to buy a decent electric axe! I'm really into the DXMG, but I can't play one anywhere near me! The only electrics I've played are an ibanez and a dean vendetta. AFAIK, ibanez is known for their low action guitars and that's just what I'm looking for. I also love doing weird shit with the floyd rose tremolos.

Jackson is far more appealing to me and I have my mind set on one, so I don't really plan on getting an ibanez or whatever. I have some general questions, like are these guitars suitable for a low action? How 'fast' is the neck in comparison with those slim Iba necks? And aren't those jumbo frets annoying as hell [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]? (Seriously, I've seen pictres.. and man, they're huge!)

Sorry for asking such a noob-ular question, I know it's annoying, just take comfort in the fact that I would ask someone I knew if any of them had the knowledge. Thanks

edit: oh yeah, I'm putting on .010s because I'm used to thick strings, I don't know if that makes any difference

Re: New to electrics, DXMG?

You should be able to lower the action as low as any Ibanez, theoretically the action can be as low as you like on any guitar as long the neck is straight and the frets are even. Most Jackson import necks were never as "fast" as Ibanez necks though, but they are still very slim compared to a Strat or a Les Paul...

Comment

I have a DXMG, and you will be thrilled with the low action. It's a quality, made in Japan Dinky with nice stuff like binding. Welcome, newb! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Thanks for the quick replies [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Is there like a measurement table for jackson necks? I'm interested in measuring my huge acoustic neck (if that's even possible) and comparing it to other necks just for the hell of it. And speaking of MIJ, that's one of the reasons I'm particulariy interested in the DXMG! They're said to be much better than Korean or Indian guitars and I'll gladly believe that judging by the working conditions in korea :O

Comment

Ha ha I just noticed: wrong forum dude! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, Post 2002 DXMGs are MIJ, ser# will start with 96 or 97 and the trem is the JT-580.

Avoid the earlier DXMGs, they were made in India and had the JT500 trem.
          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Alright, thanks for telling me that. Heh, I read your first line and was like "what is this guy on about", but then I noticed I'd accidentally posted this in the import Charvel forums [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img].

Comment

MIJ second only to USA. AFAIK, Jackson necks are compounded 12-14". You'll be happy but be aware that the EMG-HZ's may not be as hot as you want. I just got a DKMGT with HZ's and the afterburner preamp. Right now the afterburner is what's keeping the HZ's from being replaced by 81's in my guitar. But then again, I like extreme gain-so they may be fine for you.

Comment

My DKMG Smokes!!!! The Action is as good as any guitar I've played
                I look is outstanding:
                Binding, Reverse Head Stock, just a killer guitar

Comment

I LOVE the jumbo frets. You can't go fast with the friction from the fretboard slowing you down. Why do you think a lot of strat players scallop their fretboards?

Comment

im in love with my DXMG.

Comment

Working...
                    X