Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me to determine body-wood on my JS-30

Hi!
    I have Jackson JS-30 Dinky (made in India). It was made 20/09/2004 and serial is 04032329. When I was buying it in Jackson catalog said it is ALDER body, and on sites that were selling the guitars (Musician Friend, Music123) said it was POPLAR. Nobody mentioned CEDAR! Now I see in new Jackson catalogue JS-30 is made of CEDAR. There was made in Japan JS-30, is only that guitar made of alder?Are all Indian guitars made of cedar, or just new ones? I searched old topics, but couldn't find definite answer. If someone knows this for sure (not guessing), please help me!

Thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/notworthy.gif[/img]

Re: Can you help me to determine body-wood on my JS-30

I think its called Indian Cedro. Not cedar. I have no idea what that might exactly be. I think its a wood that grows all over India so its cheaper for them to use. I think all the Indian made j-series guitars are made of this. I would go by what Jackson says.

Comment

cedro is cedar..Well a local Indian type of it anyways? There was a thread on this a few pages back where John discussed the specifics of it.

If it was made in japan its probably alder or poplar, if it was made in india its probably cedro. I dunno when they began to use cedar or if it was always cedro. I am pretty sure my JS Kelly which is pretty old (it has fins not dots like the current model) is made of poplar, but I don't know for certain, don't really care either.

Comment

Thing is that they wrote JS-1 and JS-20 were made of cedro and JS-30 of alder (in their 2004 catalog).
        Why would they do that if it was made of cedro also?

Comment

A typo? On the website some of the india models incorrectly said alder too. But like I said it depends where the JS-30 was made. I assume india. If its India, its cedro, from what John told us. John is always the guy to trust in these things because he's the Jackson product manager type guy.

Comment

Then it is cedro probably...can someone tell me how to recognise alder if I open guitar (or poplar, cedro presumably). Wood inside is gray to black (guess it is painted somehow)...

Comment

Re: Can you help me to determine body-wood on my J

I have never seen cedro in person, so I wouldn't recognise it even if it hit me in the ass... [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] I would guess the cavities in the guitar are painted in black conductive paint, so you can't see the color/grain of the wood.

Btw, here's the thread for the cedro discussion:
              http://www.jcfonline.com/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1

Comment

Thanks for the link. So its not bad wood though, resonates good...I slapped EMG 85 in bridge of that Jackson and it kills!

Cheers!

Comment

The serial number indicates it was made in India in 04, so it's Cedro.
                  If you've seen any other type of Cedar, you've seen Cedro. Same grain patterns, same fibrous nature. Similar to mahogany in color but slightly more porous.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Yea mine on the other hand is definitely not cedro. The wood is almost white, its very light colored. Cedro would be reddish brown like mahogany I assume. Alder is light colored but it seems even lighter colored than that. That and the extreme lightness of the guitar make me think its poplar.

I think mine was an early model JK series. Probably from around 98 to 00.

Comment

Hmm...the asian poplar (used in the japanese imports at least) is easilly identified by the greenish color. My RR-X was just like that - a pale looking wood with a gray/greenish coloration to it (I looked in the neck pocket).

Comment

This one wasn't MIJ though, it was made in india or korea, not sure which.

Comment

Working...
                        X