tuning problem on dkmg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tuning problem on dkmg

well i got my dkmg back from the shop, everytrhing plays well. except that when i use the whammy, the strings go out of tune.

is this just because they are new strings? i thoiught the floyd is supposed to keep the strings in tune?

Re: tuning problem on dkmg

First step would be to stretch the strings after restringing, and then retune. If you don't stretch the strings, they'll stretch on their own, which will throw the tuning off somewhat.

Beyond that, it's unfortunately just the nature of using the whammy - you will get knocked out of tune sometimes, especially if the trem doesn't fully reset after using the whammy.
    sigpic

Comment

it ticks me off, i properly stretched the strings and got it set up, the trem is parrallell to the body and it still goes out of tune.

a few times even when im playing and then i check the tuner, and everything is sharp

Comment

Just some steps to check
        which i'm sure you did

Where the strings stretched?
        Have the strings been layin around?
        Are the Nut screws tight?
        Maybe try a different brand of strings

My DKMG has been great so far

Comment

well, from what i have now noticed. when i use the whammy, my tuner says the guitar is out of tune very sharp yet iut still sounds like it is in tune, standard tuning.

weird. after i use the whammy and play for like 30 seconds or so. i check the tuner and it is reading closer to standard but still sounds like it is in tune.

again weird

Comment

i had a similar problem, tell me if you floyd is leaning toward the neck of the guitar, or the back of the guitar

Comment

its parralel to the body

Comment

if this is your first Floyd, I highly recommend a one way block. You'll still be able to dive but it makes it a lot simpler. After owning 20+ , 15 having trems, I have BLOCKED them all with no regrets. the lack of headaches far outweighs the once in a blue moon pull up!

Comment

Rich: Do the strings go out of tune independently of each other, or do they unisonly "sink" after you've used the trem?

In the first case, it's a genuine tuning problem, and you'd need to find the reason why it goes south.

In the second case, it may just be that the trem won't return to "zero" after you've been using it. This is actually very common with any Floyd, and the things you can do are these:

1. Take the trem off. Check so the knife edges aren't busted. The JT580LP is made of POS metal, and a hamfisted tech could very well have blown them. I ruined mine just by adjusting bridge height while the guitar was strung up.

2. While you have the trem off the guitar, check so the trem posts aren't rocking in their sockets. Also check so the sockets are sitting firmly in the body wood. If there is wiggle, you have a problem that needs to be fixed before it gets worse.

3. If the knife edges and the bushings are ok, you can lube the knife edges up a bit and put the trem back into the guitar.

If the problem persists, try letting the trem tilt out a tiny little bit. I always set up my trems like this, because I feel they return to zero more easilly after a dive that way. I also depress the bar quickly before I tune each string, so I'm 100% sure the bridge is in its natural resting position. The DKMG is an archtop, isn't it? Keep in mind that while the trem may be paralell to the body, it may not be paralell to the strings! At least make sure the trem isn't tilting back in relation to the strings - it's often better to have a little bit of "out tilt", since you dive more than you pull up.

If you still can't get it to be stable:

4. Get a Hipshot Tremsetter, or block the trem so you can only dive with it.

Comment

now i find the guitar goes sharp/flat even when i dont use the floyd, and am just playing.

it has been almost a week now since i got new strings

Comment

Working...
                    X