Help me customize!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me customize!

Hey everyone, I just bought a Jackson JS30RR and it is still fresh from the factory. I want to upgrade it to sound like a mean metal guitar....any suggestions on pickups or any other nifty add-ons? Thanks alot. [img]/images/graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]
    DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Re: Help me customize!

I like the EMG 81/85 combo I installed in my KV.

There has been talk of modding the JS30 models, by installing all black hardware & "ebonizing" the rosewood fretboard.
    Also I think you can get some decals of the Sharkfin inlays.
    KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
    I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Thanks alot...know any places I can look for prices and/or purchases?

Comment

Speaking of which, is there anyway i can get sharkfins to put onto a neck? i dont really know how it works, like how inlays are put in, so i was wondering if i could take a strat neck and get new inlays put onto it

Comment

You can get new inlays installed by a luthier, which I have done a number of times. The downside of it is that unless you are replacing the inlays at the same position, a lot of filling material would be needed. For example, replacing dot inlays that run down the center of the fretboard with sharkfins along one edge would mean needing to fill in the places where the dots were removed. They aren't just stickers that are peeled off.

Here's an example. The fretboard below started out with white dot inlays. I wanted them replaced with abalone, including custom split blocks at the octaves. The blocks had to cover the holes where the dots were removed.

The dots were easy to replace, because they used the same dimensions as the old inlays.

sigpic

Comment

Lots of studs and spikes and blood like this:

I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

A mean metal guitar? Well my JS Kelly (one of the old ones with sharkies) I modded with what I call the John Petrucci treatment. Basically I ripped off the pickup selection from the Ibanez JPM model and had a custom "petrucci switch" added by a local luthier. A DPDT on-off-on. Basically so that when both humbuckers are engaged the left position splits the two middle coils parrallel (dual sound, very melodic smooth leads) and then the right position splits the two outer coils parallel (phase, somewhat dissonant melodic leads, very cool for atmospheric doom metal stuff). The pickups are something you have to decide for yourself but the best metal pickups IMO are the Dime, the Custom, and the Distortion. Those are for the bridge. For the neck you generally want something thats not quite as "in your face" Full shred, Air Norton, Jazz are all good choices.

I don't like EMG's but if your going to use them a JS model is the guitar to use them in. Stay away from the Duncan Livewires, they are a poor mans EMG's if you ask me.

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                You can get new inlays installed by a luthier, which I have done a number of times. The downside of it is that unless you are replacing the inlays at the same position, a lot of filling material would be needed. For example, replacing dot inlays that run down the center of the fretboard with sharkfins along one edge would mean needing to fill in the places where the dots were removed. They aren't just stickers that are peeled off.

Here's an example. The fretboard below started out with white dot inlays. I wanted them replaced with abalone, including custom split blocks at the octaves. The blocks had to cover the holes where the dots were removed.

The dots were easy to replace, because they used the same dimensions as the old inlays.

[/ QUOTE ]

how much did it cost you to get those inlays on yours? i have a maple neck, does that make a different?

Comment

The only reason I can think of that maple would make a difference is if it is clearcoated, which I think some maple boards are. I'm not sure how easy maple is to work with compared to rosewood.

Those inlays cost me quite a bit - a couple hundred dollars - but I also got to pick the exact pieces of abalone and went to a "top dollar" luthier. Other material (mother-of-pearl or Abalam laminate) might be somewhat less, and you can order pre-cut inlays from some suppliers. The biggest pitfall is making sure that you don't end up with imitation material, if that matters to you. I have a major dislike of "pearloid" inlays, and since the installation cost is far more than materials, there's no convincing reason for me to get cheap plastic when the real thing is available.

As for other upgrades to an inexpensive guitar, a better nut and better tuners would be worth considering. I'll usually live with the factory nut until it gets too worn down, but have upgraded to locking Sperzel tuners on a couple of my imports.
                  sigpic

Comment

Holy hell, Newc. Nice mods, there, dude.

Comment

Well, I have JS-30 dinky (same as you gitar, but has floyd and 22 frets). I slapped EMG 85 in bridge position abd it sounds much better. As you know that is active pickup, and it doesn't depend too much on wood quality. So, it is good for cheap guitars, cuz improvement is drastic.
                      I don't use neck pickup so I left old CVR2 in that position.
                      One more thing, this is pretty bright sounding guitar, so I have choosen 85 over 81. EMG 81 in bridge would sound too bright and thin, and I don't want my only pickup I'm using on that guitar to sound like that.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                      X