Jackson Imports vs. Ibanez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackson Imports vs. Ibanez

I would too, but only because of the body shape.

I'm highly, extremely, way overly biased. I worked for Jackson, so this is to be expected. Oddly enough, I can remain objective long enough to say what crap Ibanez has become recently. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] If you compare an Ibanez and a Jackson of similar price, the Jackson is BY FAR the better guitar no matter the cost.

/me grabs the new MF catalog

A JEM7V is $999. For that amount you could buy an SL3. The Ibanez Prestige, which I must admit looks damn nice in that twilight blue finish, is $600. So is the DKMG/T. While the Ibanez has DiMarzios and the DKMG/T has EMG-HZ's this is sort of negated by the Turbocharger in the Jackson. I would be more than willing to bet, however, that the quality of the Ibanez is below that of the Jackson.

Comment

The wood in the DK-2 is gooder than the Ibenhad wood. Poplar over Basswood? Hmmmm [img]graemlins/scratchhead.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/idea2.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Newc
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Aside from Guitar Center, most of the shops in my area don't carry Jacksons, not in any quantity anyway. If I want to try out an amp or effects, I usually end up playing on an Ibanez, because it's reasonably close in terms of sound and feel. However, I have yet to play an Ibanez whose quality and sound warranted the price tag. I've had to talk myself out of buying a DK-2 several times over the years, even though I don't need one. They just feel nice to me. If Jackson were to go back to using real mother-of-pearl inlays, I'd REALLY have trouble resisting a DK2.

I can't complain about the fact that Ibanez insists on using basswood in so many of their guitars, because I have three basswood Jackson imports. However, Jackson offers more finishes, different electronics options, and little details like neck binding...all for less cash. To be fair, I haven't had any bad experiences with an Ibanez, but that could be because I have never owned one. I have never been impressed enough by them to consider it, when my Jacksons have served me so well.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Black Mariah:
          I would too, but only because of the body shape.

I'm highly, extremely, way overly biased. I worked for Jackson, so this is to be expected. Oddly enough, I can remain objective long enough to say what crap Ibanez has become recently. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] If you compare an Ibanez and a Jackson of similar price, the Jackson is BY FAR the better guitar no matter the cost.

/me grabs the new MF catalog

A JEM7V is $999. For that amount you could buy an SL3. The Ibanez Prestige, which I must admit looks damn nice in that twilight blue finish, is $600. So is the DKMG/T. While the Ibanez has DiMarzios and the DKMG/T has EMG-HZ's this is sort of negated by the Turbocharger in the Jackson. I would be more than willing to bet, however, that the quality of the Ibanez is below that of the Jackson.
          <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Ibanez Prestige 3120(prestige is not a model, it's an entire line of guitars) were around $1100.. only reason they are so cheap now is because they had to clear out the '02 stock with normal Lo Pros for the new '03 stock with the Edge Pros.

The Ibanez Prestige line of guitars from what I have seen is BETTER than Jackson imports, and is close if not on par to the quality of a USA Dinky, since you can't compare a bolt on to a neck thru.

*Eagerly awaits hardcore biased Jackson fans* [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just joking.

Comment

ALSO, I can see you are getting your prices from Musician's Friend, BM. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The Jem 7V Blue Sparkle is $999, while the The Jem 7VWH is still at it's normal price...

and yes, AMS had cheaper prices than MF does on their 3120s.

Comment

Originally posted by Word:
              Yeah, but your comparing a more higher end Charvel to a ton cheaper and lower end Ibanez.

Here's what it's like to me.

If you gave me a choice between a Model series Charvel and an RG550, 565, 570, etc. of the same price.. I would choose the Ibanez guitars.
              <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">This is where I am curious, how does a Dk-2 stack up against 5xx series? I'm sure compared to the Korean Ibanez the Dk-2 rocks em. I'm also sure the presitge 3120 or rgt3120 smokes the Dk-2. I guess I'm just wondering quality wise where the DK-2 would sit in the Ibanez food chain.

Comment

5xx series should be Made in Japan, but I'm really tired and don't feel like checking.

From what I've played the 500 series kills the DK2.. just my opinion of course. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Comment

If you like the tone of (b)asswood on the Ibanez, go for it. I personally prefer alder or poplar. I've only got one Ibanez, an RG7620 7-string that's made of (b)asswood. It's a little heavy, but it kinda sounds weird to me. The strings sound like they're a little higher pitched when playing it acoustically. It's weird, because it's perfectly intonated and in tune from high E to low B, but just kind of has a strange tone to me. It plays nice, the custom DiMarzio pups are decent, and the trem won't go out of tune, but I'm just not crazy about the body wood.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I can always take it off your hands, Joe! You know my address. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Comment

dk2 by far is better than any ibanez [well most of em anyway] ! as far as quaility and sound ! //Steve

Comment

In your dreams. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Comment

[/QUOTE]Ibanez Prestige 3120(prestige is not a model, it's an entire line of guitars) were around $1100..

The Ibanez Prestige line of guitars from what I have seen is BETTER than Jackson imports, and is close if not on par to the quality of a USA Dinky, since you can't compare a bolt on to a neck thru.

*Eagerly awaits hardcore biased Jackson fans* [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Just joking. [/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out that I missed the model number. *DOH* But in doing so, you gave me even more fuel for the fire. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] So the bolt-on import is roughly the same price as a US Jackson? SCREW THAT! I've played tons of Ibanez guitars and NONE OF THEM (from the lowliest of RG's to the way-too-expensivek K7's) are worth that kind of money. You say you can't compare bolt-ons and neckthrus which is total BS. The only difference in the guitars is how the neck is connected to the body. That's like saying you can't compare an Ibanez with a Jackson because they have different headstocks. The subject at hand is a price/performance/value question. In two of those categories, Jackson kicks the s**t out of Ibanez (price, value) and the other is a matter of opinion.

Comment

Ibanez vs Jackson? Different strokes for different folks. I have had a few of each. I liked every one of them. If I didn't like any of them I would be an ass for buying them.

Jackson: Killer tone. Great trem. Comfortable neck. Smoothe to play on. Average to decent quality. Pickups are not the best and not the worst. I replaced the pickups on my DK2. It's 10 times the guitar it was when it was stock. It stays in tune and always delivers. There are only 2 things I'm not entirely happy with. My DK2 came with bad volume and tone pots and the knobs don't stay on very well. The other thing is the dinky body. I have always liked a full sizr Strat style body like my Charvel Model 2. Who knows, that may be back again soon.

Ibanez: I've had three. RG7420, RG320 and an RG270DX. All three were great. Good necks, hardware and build quality. The only thing is that they were all hand selected. I played the same models in different shops and alot of them had some major QC issues. With Ibanez you got to be there in person to try it before dropping the cash. If you order from a catolog you are taking a risk of getting a pile of crap. Just the other day I played an Ibanez RG370DX with the new trem. I'd have to say that Ibanez must have been having a great day when this one rolled off the line. I absolutely loved it! If I could have bought it that day I would have. It was flawles and sounded great, but I'd be willing to bet if there were 3 others of the same model there would be a couple of duds in the batch.

Conclusion: Ibanez has some QC issues and poor customer service. Jackson makes a great import and has fewer QC issues than Ibanez. As far as customer support, I don't know now, but it was pretty good back before the buyout. It all boils down to preference. Buy both. This is like the old debate of which is better, Floyd Rose or Kahler? Kerry King said it best, "I see it like this, if you start out with a Floyd Rose, you will always like a Floyd Rose. If you start out with a Kahler, you will always like a Kahler. I like Kahler trems because they work well for me. I tried a Floyd Rose and I couldn't get used to it". So there you have it. Neither is realy better than the other except for the small details. Play both and decide for yourself. Me personnaly, I would buy a Jackson before I would buy an Ibanez. And thats my .02.

Comment

Just my two pence worth...
                              In my experience, a good Japanese-built Ibanez (I don't know about the Korean and others)will feel and play wonderfully! However,they just won't last very long. We sold hundreds of RGs back in the early 90's and within a couple or three years,they had all just disappeared!

Comment

Originally posted by Snoogans:
                                We sold hundreds of RGs back in the early 90's and within a couple or three years,they had all just disappeared!
                                <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You mean they vaporize after the warranty period is over? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ May 01, 2003, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Sunbane ]

Comment

Working...
                                X